Large Screen TV's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is always TIVO but you pay something like $8 a month, if you watch any amount of tv its worth it. If you record the shows you can watch an hour long show in 40 minutes. Pause, rewind. it rocks.
I think you can get lifetime subscriptions still but not sure.

Or google DVR and see if they have any new ones with out subscriptions now

You can always build one with MythTV and a HD tuner or the HD Homerun. It's going to cost more upfront, but you may recoup after a few years of not paying a monthly charge.

I have a HD TiVo connected to my FiOS TV connection and love it. I prepaid for 3 years of service and got a deal on the TiVo.

Bernie Brewer said:
Ok guys I'm going to hijack this thread just slightly here: I have a 51" sony projection (like it a lot, works great) and I get my HD over the air with an antenna. I have an external digital tuner for the HD, since there is none in the TV. My question is: is there a DVR out there that will record with an over-the-air signal and NOT charge a subscription fee???. I'm sick and tired of watching shows recorded on a VCR when I could be watching them in the original HD quality that they are broadcast in. Any thoughts?
I use SageTV. You will need a computer to record but it is a really good program with great support through the Sage Forums.

Dude said:
And.....after 15 months, I lost my first bulb last night. SWMBO and I were playing rock band and just about jumped out of our seats when that thing blew up. It took me a half hour to get the damn new lamp in and remounted. We both immediately noticed a huge difference in brightness (just in time for playoff football I might add ;) ).

At this rate, so far I've spent a total of 1000 bones on this projector. I figure after 3 more bulbs I'll be up to the price of a decent LCD or plasma and will probably have close to 5-6 years of service from it. I can certainly live with that. A 100 inch HD screen of NFL football greatness sure helps sway the costs of buying that new bulb.

Now, to order another, just in case. ;)

Speaking of projectors and expensive bulbs, anyone seen the forums at http://www.lumenlab.com before? I been thinking of building one for a while now just haven't gotten around to it. Best part is they're using $30 bulbs.

if you have alot of windows that will probably be your answer to lcd or plasma...lcd does not have as much glare.
Video games? Plasmas can burn the image in easier, lcd can to but I have yet to see it as bad as plasma.

For the price of dlp's I still like the flat screens or projections

I have a phillips LCD and love it. Just bought my parents a vizio for christmas and that one looks really good to.
Plasma will have a little better color or clarity, make sure you flip through some channels and compare, Blacks are way better on plasma than LCD. Nuetral tones and such can look a little blotchy or pixelated on some LCD I have seen

Panasonic 150"

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/63717

null-807308560-1199750494.jpg

I'm going to have to make a new TV decision here soon too. I'm torn between getting a smaller TV for the family room and moving the 55" to the basement or getting a new projector for the basement.

I'm leaning toward the projector, but since it's a walk-out, I do have some light issues. Because the screen will be in a spot where no direct light will hit it, I think I'm in good shape.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, looks like entry level HD projectors are in the $800 range. Any comments on the preformance of these models?

mot said:
thats nothing to the one pioneer I think makes...130 or something inch plasma or lcd (cant remember which it is) retails for around 50,000

No you missed it. Not LCD, not Plasma....but Laser projection. new this year! Better more vivid colors for the same price as DLP

Plus 3D capable

If you get a projector that's bright enough, you won't be dissatisfied with a some light in the room.

Your screen choice is what makes the biggest difference, however, which is something most people don't think about.

Chimone said:
No you missed it. Not LCD, not Plasma....but Laser projection. new this year! Better more vivid colors for the same price as DLP

Plus 3D capable

well there are a few others around that are lcd and plasma that size

rdwj said:
I'm going to have to make a new TV decision here soon too. I'm torn between getting a smaller TV for the family room and moving the 55" to the basement or getting a new projector for the basement.

I'm leaning toward the projector, but since it's a walk-out, I do have some light issues. Because the screen will be in a spot where no direct light will hit it, I think I'm in good shape.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Also, looks like entry level HD projectors are in the $800 range. Any comments on the preformance of these models?

I'd recommend lurking around www.avsforum.com. it is the best place around for knowledge and research.

If oyu have light issues--seriously consider not doing a projector. An important element to look for when researchign projectors are lumens, which obviously the more lumens the brighter the end result. However, anythign more than 2500 lumens you'll be paying out the a$$ for. Mine is 2100 lumens, the Sharp XR-10X. They make a XR-30X now and the price is around $800 I believe. That would be a stellar entry level projector that won't break the bank.

I was a little disappointed in my projector's bulb life--but that goes with the territory I guess. I paid 750 for my projector, and the bulb lasted 15 months on a pretty bright setting. It would still take the cost of 3 more bulbs to get into the 50 inch Plasma or LCD price range--so you take that for what its worth I guess. If this projector lasts me 5-6 years and I buy 4 bulbs in that time--it'll be time to upgrade to new tecnology anyway--just like always.

I will say one thing--I'll always have a projector of some sort from here on out. Movie night is amazing. We turn off all the lights in the room and it is like our own theater.

Sports is amazing too.

Dude said:
Sports is amazing too.
You have anyone setting up lawn chairs in their front yard and watching the packer game through your living room window yet? :p

We keep our windows open to let light in (projector is quite bright), and no matter if I have friends over watching the packer game or if I'm home alone watching a movie or writing up a reply on HBT, there's this lady who stops and watches for a minute every time she walks by. I heard her making a "drive in theater" comment once. It's flattering but pretty creepy.

Dude said:
I was a little disappointed in my projector's bulb life--but that goes with the territory I guess. I paid 750 for my projector, and the bulb lasted 15 months on a pretty bright setting.

How heavily was the projector used? With my kids, my family room TV is on almost all the time. The stat sheets for most projectors seem to use 2000 hrs as a benchmark. That doesn't seem like a very long time. And aren't those things like $300 each?

Mine was $400, but it's rated at 4000hr in economy mode. Mine lasted about 2000hr in its brightest possible setting, averaging about 8hrs of use per day.

I just picked up a 37" sharp aquos for the bedroom from a dude on craigslist. Silly me, I just thought he was moving or something since he had 3 tv's listed. After going to his place and finding about 30 tv's and half a dozen "customers" I'm just glad I made it out of there without getting arrested.... Damn nice tv for an outrageously good price, though..... I know: i'm goin to hell, but not today!:ban:

I've noticed that LCD TVs are coming down in price faster than the front projectors of the same resolution are. Over the past few years, I've only gone FPJ because 90" of 720p was only $1200ish. As we see 50" 1080p flat panels approach that price, it's going to be a tough decision for casual family room type applications. I would pay a small premium for the flat panel because the replacement bulbs for a FPJ would cause a break even in about 2 years. I'm just so spoiled with screen size that going to a 65" would be such a perceived downgrade for me.

We've had our Panasonic AE900 front projector for a couple of years now. Lots of use, same bulb. We made a small screen for everyday use and have a pull down for movie night. The projectors 2X zoom makes both sizes possible with the same setup. Very happy with it (although I am starting to look at the next generation projectors.)

BTW
For this post I just now snapped the second picture during day time (it is overcast today) with no curtains drawn but turned the flash off. It's a good representation of size (133" diag) but not quality.

screen1.jpg

screen3.jpg

Back