large scale BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted a system that could handle an entire 50/55lb sack of base grains with the minimum amount of equipment. so, i started with the 30.5 gallon bayou classic pot with perforated basket, and had a custom liner made. I have seen other people using block and tackles or electric hoists, but those required a ceiling. my innovation was to get a portable tripod with winch that was designed for gutting deer to lift the 100lbs of wet grain out. whenever large BIAB comes up everyone says the denny cooler is way cheaper, but this hunting tripod is only $60 at walmart if it's in stock and $70 shipped.

10525637_10204386878577949_1398954657537509869_n.jpg

Very nice. What size batch can you get with a full sack? I'd assume that a 20G batch would be the limit but not mashing with a full sack of grain.

the amazon link is for a very similar if not identical model. i was looking at that until i found it cheaper at walmart (even though i usually try and avoid them, i correctly figured it would be the cheapest place to get hunting gear). those two models have the bolt on winch, i was reading that people were having problems with a more expensive model that had the winch welded on.
i can vary the batch size depending on the abv i want the final beer to be. my first batch on this system i used 20 gallons of strike water and 65lbs of grain (55lb sack of maris otter, 5lbs c60, and 5lbs dextrine) i did a cold water sparge this time to take the level up to about 26 gallons preboil. i collected a little under 22 gallons in the fermentor that should be about 8%abv. with a single 50lb sack of 2 row i should be able to make 30 gallons of 4.3%abv. my plan is to see how full i can keep the kettle in that instance and then top off the kettle at flame out with filtered water. 3 or 4 gallons of cold water should not drop the entire kettle past the point where it will not be sanitized. if i want to make a monstrously strong beer i can still get 10-15 gallons with this system.
the price break at the sack level of grain is huge, and with batches this size i don't feel i need to wash/store yeast, so the wife will be happy to see the 15 mason jars leave the fridge.
at this size, i can also feasibly supply all of our beer needs. making fifty at a time does not cut it when i can drink 6-8 beers just while i'm making it.

i raised the basket up about an inch with 4 stainless bolts. here's what it looks like with the 20 gallons and 65lbs of grains. i could likely squeeze another 5 to 10 pounds of grain in without reducing the strike water but it is unlikely i will need to. the wife helped me dough in the first batch (i'm sure i could solo that too with a time penalty) but i was able to do the rest on my own and it was less lifting than a 5 gallon batch because i am gravity feeding into a 120l speidel in the basement.
It's funny i started out doing extract where i would use a gym sock's worth of grains in a batch, and this last batch the spent grains literally filled up a wheel barrow.

10352323_10204388495218364_6419304527407612696_n.jpg

If I drank 6-8 homebrews in the time it takes to brew a batch I'd be totally ****-faced and unable to do anything right. LOL

Just wondering: any special technique to move the strainer away once it's lifted?

Thanks

I wanted a system that could handle an entire 50/55lb sack of base grains with the minimum amount of equipment. so, i started with the 30.5 gallon bayou classic pot with perforated basket, and had a custom liner made.

Nice setup! I am also interested in what you do with the grain basket after mashing. I am trying to think through how one might be able to move things out of the way so boiling and cleanup run in parallel.

I don't like the idea of moving either on wheels but would pick moving the burner with kettle over the lanky tripod. I would tie all the legs together with ss strapping or make a base before adding wheels

I don't like the idea of moving either on wheels but would pick moving the burner with kettle over the lanky tripod. I would tie all the legs together with ss strapping or make a base before adding wheels

Agreed. My thought is you winch the grains out, move the kettle / heat source out of the way.

the amazon link is for a very similar if not identical model. i was looking at that until i found it cheaper at walmart (even though i usually try and avoid them, i correctly figured it would be the cheapest place to get hunting gear). those two models have the bolt on winch, i was reading that people were having problems with a more expensive model that had the winch welded on.
i can vary the batch size depending on the abv i want the final beer to be. my first batch on this system i used 20 gallons of strike water and 65lbs of grain (55lb sack of maris otter, 5lbs c60, and 5lbs dextrine) i did a cold water sparge this time to take the level up to about 26 gallons preboil. i collected a little under 22 gallons in the fermentor that should be about 8%abv. with a single 50lb sack of 2 row i should be able to make 30 gallons of 4.3%abv. my plan is to see how full i can keep the kettle in that instance and then top off the kettle at flame out with filtered water. 3 or 4 gallons of cold water should not drop the entire kettle past the point where it will not be sanitized. if i want to make a monstrously strong beer i can still get 10-15 gallons with this system.
the price break at the sack level of grain is huge, and with batches this size i don't feel i need to wash/store yeast, so the wife will be happy to see the 15 mason jars leave the fridge.
at this size, i can also feasibly supply all of our beer needs. making fifty at a time does not cut it when i can drink 6-8 beers just while i'm making it.

What are you doing for packaging batches that size?

I do not have a photo available now(at work), but I use a similar wench system made for deer cleaning. It slides into the Reese hitch on my truck. So you can pull the basket out/squeeze and just drive the truck forward a few feet and crank up the boil.

A little more expensive at $150, but I had one prior to starting brewing so was a no cost. Not my photo either, just pulled off the net.

Back