My BIAB Process Refinements

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewzologist

Reaction score
My rig consists of a 15.5 gallon Bayou Classic stainless steel kettle with steaming basket, and a Bayou Classic KAB6 burner. In the first picture you can see I built a wood stand to hold the burner, which was done to elevate the kettle high enough to drain right into my carboy, so I never have to move a heavy kettle full of liquid. The mash, boil, cooling/whirpooling, and draining into the carboy are all done with the pot sitting on the burner. The stand also has adjustable feet so I can level the rig, which makes measuring volume during brewing easier and more accurate.

You can see I added a weld-less valve, and to prevent the non-metal gaskets from getting too hot, I made some heat shields that are bolted to the burner. After several brews I also had a pretty good idea of the average loss to trub after boiling, so I placed the valve right at a level where I wouldn't have to tip the kettle to get the last of the clear wort into my carboy.

Another refinement I made was to hoisting the bag after the mash was complete. For a long time I used a block-and-tackle with a rope to lift the bag so it could drain, but that was a pain, and required more setup and breakdown time. I’d already invested in the steaming basket for the kettle because I didn't ever want to take the chance of my BIAB bag ripping open. It’s probably overkill, but the strainer also allowed me to get rid of the hoist assembly entirely by purchasing a few stainless steel S-hooks from Home Depot. As you can see in the next picture I simply insert a few S-hooks into the holes in the strainer basket to hold it out of the wort so it can drain. This is easy to do by slowly lifting up on the strainer basket with one hand while inserting the hooks, and walking them around the basket to lift it higher and higher out of the kettle. Even with a large grain bill this is easy to do with little lifting effort.

As mentioned, I never move my BIAB kettle during the brewing process. After I heat to strike temp and turn the burner off, I add a thermal shield to my kettle. I made it using $25 of Reflectix insulation that I cut and glued together using silicone caulk. For my 15.5 gallon kettle, a 25' long x 24" wide roll of Reflectix was enough to make a jacket many layers thick. The jack rests on the kettle handles and a strap holds it tightly in place. I also made a jacket for the lid and some pie-shaped wedges for underneath the kettle. Reflectix has a melting point of 180 degrees Fahrenheit, and so far I haven't had a problem wrapping the kettle while the burner is still hot. So how well does this work? Once I mash-in, I put my mash paddle and a remote thermometer through holes in the lid, and close everything up. I’ve done 90 minute mashes in my garage with an ambient temperature of 40 degrees Fahrenheit, and never lose more than 1-2 degrees after 90 minutes. And, I can stir the mash in-place and monitor the mash temp without ever lifting the lid.

I hope you’ll find these ideas useful for your BIAB rig.

SteveO

1.jpg

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Very nice. I'm plotting on making the switch to BIAB right now and will definitely use some ideas from this.

Nice ideas man! I've been thinking about different methods to insulate my kettle. How much better is it now compared to before? Also it may be a bit off topic but what kind of efficiency do you get with your set up? I do a plain jane stove top BIAB with a dunk sparge into a smaller pot and my efficiency is pretty good, 85% or so but I like your method it seems like less work.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Yugga; I used a sleeping bag before, and it would easily lose 4-5 degrees over 60 minutes. The key with Reflectix is to minimize the air spaces between the layers.

I get >75% on average with full volume, no sparge. My corona grain mill is set at the width of a credit card, and I do a single crush. Most of the experts in BIAB seem to feel the crush drives efficiency more than anything else. For me, ease of use, consistency, and less time brewing are more important than getting the highest efficiency, and this rig does that for me.

Can you post pics of the Reflectix panels used on the bottom of the kettle and how the wrap looks when not places around the kettle? I'm interested to see the cuts you made.

Also what's the volume and height of your kettle? I'm using a 15 gallon kettle with a 16" height and I'm considering getting the 25'x16" roll rather than the 24"

This is awesome, I will be using this idea(the reflectix) on my kettle, with proper credit given of course. Thanks!

Well, I know what I'll be doing with all the extra Reflectix I have. Single layer... What was I thinking!

I've been using a roll of reflectivex, wrapped about 5 times around the kettle, and can feel warmth on the outside of the second layer, so multiple layers definitely is the way to go. I also use a towel on top of the lid, nothing underneath, and don't lose a degree unless I want to. I'd reccomend forgetting the underneath parts, because the burner and stand are going to be very hot. This will not only burn you and possibly melt the reflectivex, but also you're doing a lot of work that's probably unnecessary. Heat rises, so the bottom of your kettle is the least important to insulate, and the insulation is blocking radiant heat from the burner.

All that said, your system looks great.

Brewzologist, I have the exact same kettle, so I have a couple of questions...

1) I've been looking to get the steam basket. Would you kindly confirm the dimensions of the basket? I am curious to find out how much space there is between the basket and the base of the kettle. I converted my kettle to an electric kettle so I would like to know if the basket clears the element and temperature probe.

2) Have you done a 10 gal BIAB on your system? Did you have to sparge or were you able to fit the water with grains? I already did a 5 gal BIAB batch on mine but as best as I can tell, I'll need to sparge in order to make a 10 gal batch.

I've been brewing 10 gal batches using a cooler MT, so if I can pull off a BIAB batch, even if I need to sparge, say with 4 gal, I would be thrilled to simplify my process/equipment.

Thanks for the pics and info!

Brewzologist, I have the exact same kettle, so I have a couple of questions...

2) Have you done a 10 gal BIAB on your system? Did you have to sparge or were you able to fit the water with grains? I already did a 5 gal BIAB batch on mine but as best as I can tell, I'll need to sparge in order to make a 10 gal batch.
Shameless self advertisement.
Plugging in 20lb Grain bill, which is about average for me, a max pot volume of 15.5G and a boil off rate of 1.5G and typical water losses for BIAB, I'd say you're golden with a 1G sparge (total mash volume @ 15.12Gallons including grain). I'd probably do a 1.5G or 2G sparge just to be safe you don't overstir and splash some grains or wort over the side of the kettle.

https://docs.google.com/a/emich.edu...4wspfDHK62Oi9CLxM2QA/edit?pli=1#gid=803730239

My apologies for getting back so late to this thread... been a real busy summer! Answers to questions posted:

1) The Reflectix panels on the bottom are 4 wedges shaped like a slice of pie. I just shove them in when the burner cools off and hold them in place with the blocks. As one poster suggested, the radiant heat from the burner after it's turned off probably negates the need for the bottom panels; but in the winter my garage can be cold, so after awhile I feel the bottom wedges do add some insulation value.

2) When the jacket is not on the kettle it stays pretty much in the same shape. In fact I just store it on the kettle. The inner-most 2 layers are cut to end just under the lip of the kettle top, and the other layers extend above the lid as shown. I didn't want any air gaps between the kettle and Reflectix. Also, I used the 24" roll even though my kettle isn't that tall because I wanted plenty of overlap around the lid and top insulation.

3) Regarding the steamer basket, there is approximately 3" between the steamer basket and the bottom of the kettle. It easily clears the valve I added to the pot, which has hardware that extends under the basket. I would think an electric element would fit there just fine, and remember reading posts of people doing that with this particular Bayou Classic pot.

4) I have done a 7.5 gallon full volume batch of beer with an OG of 1.052, and it was right at the top of the kettle. You'd have to sparge to get 10 gallons, and maybe even with smaller batches with mega-high OG's. I rarely do anything more than 5 gallons, and my highest OG so far has been 1.074, so this system works well for that. I used to have a cooler MT, and stopped using it due to the simpler full-volume BIAB setup.

Latest posts

Back