Large Pack (1lb) Dry yeast experience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
Has anyone ever purchased the 1 lb size of the dried yeast? I have seen it at some stores. Is it stable since it would obviously be opened and closed multiple times (I do have a foodsaver)? It seems economical if I am doing a lot of smaller test batches as well as the normal 5 gallon batches.

I haven't seen this but I don't see where it would be a problem. Store it in a mason jar in the fridge just like active dry quick rise bread yeast.

Do you use S05 for everything?
That would be good for 45x 5 gallon batches; if you don't use it for everything now you will once you buy it.
It is a 40% discount and a good idea if your not interested in variety or yeast washing.

I do use S05 a lot. But you make a good point about yeast washing. Dry yeast is just easier for small batches.

I've thought about it, since I do use US05 for 99% of my beers these days, but I'm pretty sure I've read from Fermentis or somewhere that once opened, it should be used within 7 days. I don't know if that's being overly-cautious or not, but I've been hesitant because of that one statement.

I've read some people repackaging the pound into multiple smaller baggies, even vacuum sealing them.

Needless to say, whatever you do, you want to keep your yeast sanitary, not introducing other micro organisms to it.

Dry yeast actually stores and keeps better and longer in the freezer. Just put the opened and resealed brick or smaller packages in a freezer bag to keep them clean. Purge as much air as possible.

I've thought about it, since I do use US05 for 99% of my beers these days, but I'm pretty sure I've read from Fermentis or somewhere that once opened, it should be used within 7 days. I don't know if that's being overly-cautious or not, but I've been hesitant because of that one statement.

Yeah, 7 days... sells more yeast.
I've used leftover half sachets of US-05 2 years after opening and they were fine. Resealed by folding the flap over a few times, taping it shut and stored in freezer.

Back