Large Amount Of Stuck Yeast on Better Bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveLikesBeer

Reaction score
I used a better bottle for the first sour I've ever done. The yeast really went nuts and ended up pushing the airlock off. In the process a lot of yeast got stuck on the top and aides of the better bottle. Pretty much the entire cone area up through the neck has a layer of drying yeast. I've had small amounts stick when using buckets and leave it alone but this looks like quite a bit more. Should I swirl the bottle and get some of it back in suspension or should I leave it alone and let it continue to harden (and somewhat fall in later)?

I would leave it alone and clean it when the beer is finished. If aging it a very long time, then you could rack to another bottle when things settle down.

I would leave it alone and clean it when the beer is finished. If aging it a very long time, then you could rack to another bottle when things settle down.

Thanks cluckk. For my continuing brewing education, why do you suggest that?:)

I used a better bottle for the first sour I've ever done. The yeast really went nuts and ended up pushing the airlock off. In the process a lot of yeast got stuck on the top and aides of the better bottle. Pretty much the entire cone area up through the neck has a layer of drying yeast. I've had small amounts stick when using buckets and leave it alone but this looks like quite a bit more. Should I swirl the bottle and get some of it back in suspension or should I leave it alone and let it continue to harden (and somewhat fall in later)?

i use better bottles to ferment sours for up to a year and i can't think of a reason to worry about the krausen that is stuck to the bottle.

Back