Lambeau Field and Green Bay, WI Info requested

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exception13

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
G'day,

My 3 brothers and I are planning a trip to Green Bay to take in a Packers game. I am the Packers fan. My 3 siblings choose to root for the Patriots... I know, I know... uneducated fools that they are. :rolleyes: Four years ago, we made the trip to Foxboro and watched a great game that ended badly for my Packers. Hoping this fall will be different. I have never been to Lambeau and am looking forward to it. Even though I've been watching NFL for years, I have been to one game.... that one 4 years ago.

I am sure there are folks who prowl these forums who are both Cheese Heads and know the ins and outs of attending a game at Lambeau, and what else there is to do in Green Bay. Is the stadium in the city or outside? If it's in the city, is there a central location to look at for accommodations that would be close to Lambeau and to the downtown? Any breweries or brew pubs you would recommend as not to miss? Any other "not to miss" attraction or place to go?

NFL schedule is released on May 12 according to the youngest of us. Hoping someone here can shed some light.

Appreciate it

Chris

G'day,

My 3 brothers and I are planning a trip to Green Bay to take in a Packers game. I am the Packers fan. My 3 siblings choose to root for the Patriots... I know, I know... uneducated fools that they are. :rolleyes: Four years ago, we made the trip to Foxboro and watched a great game that ended badly for my Packers. Hoping this fall will be different. I have never been to Lambeau and am looking forward to it. Even though I've been watching NFL for years, I have been to one game.... that one 4 years ago.

I am sure there are folks who prowl these forums who are both Cheese Heads and know the ins and outs of attending a game at Lambeau, and what else there is to do in Green Bay. Is the stadium in the city or outside? If it's in the city, is there a central location to look at for accommodations that would be close to Lambeau and to the downtown? Any breweries or brew pubs you would recommend as not to miss? Any other "not to miss" attraction or place to go?

NFL schedule is released on May 12 according to the youngest of us. Hoping someone here can shed some light.

Appreciate it

Chris
I would say it's on the western edge of Green Bay.
There are some nice hotels in downtown that are close to the riverwalk and resturants & brewpubs.
We stayed at the Northland (Marriott). They have a very nice resturant and brewpub.
I would say that the stadium is not walking distance from that area.
I haven't explored the immediate area of the stadium.

Last edited:
There are some nice hotels in downtown that are close to the riverwalk and resturants & brewpubs.

We stayed at the Northland (Marriott). They have a very nice resturant and brewpub.
Thanks very much for the info. Appreciate it! 🍻

Lifelong fan, 25 year stockholder. That said, have only been to 2 regular season games, both in Milwaukee, and one preseason game in Lambeau. Have been to lots of training camp sessions though. The team recently built "Titletown" just to the west of the stadium. Titletown | Green Bay, WI The traditional place to go after a game is Kroll's, just across the street. There are a lot of chain restaurants / retail south of the stadium on Lombardi Ave. I've only been to Titletown brewing for brewpubs. It's in the former train station downtown and is pretty good by Green Bay standards but nothing special. You really need to think of Green Bay as visiting a major college town like Tuscaloosa or Ann Arbor. Hotels will sell out fast. Many people choose to stay in Appleton, about 40 miles south.

Not sure if it will fit in but do the packer hall of fame inside of Lambeau. Tailgating is big. You may want to get there early, walk around and soak it in. Hotels fill quick. I've always driven up and parked and drove back home.

Title town brewing is meh. Building is cool, there are some cool pinball machines but that's it.

Lifelong fan, 25 year stockholder. That said, have only been to 2 regular season games, both in Milwaukee, and one preseason game in Lambeau. Have been to lots of training camp sessions though. The team recently built "Titletown" just to the west of the stadium. Titletown | Green Bay, WI The traditional place to go after a game is Kroll's, just across the street. There are a lot of chain restaurants / retail south of the stadium on Lombardi Ave. I've only been to Titletown brewing for brewpubs. It's in the former train station downtown and is pretty good by Green Bay standards but nothing special. You really need to think of Green Bay as visiting a major college town like Tuscaloosa or Ann Arbor. Hotels will sell out fast. Many people choose to stay in Appleton, about 40 miles south.

Thanks very much.

Not sure if it will fit in but do the packer hall of fame inside of Lambeau. Tailgating is big. You may want to get there early, walk around and soak it in. Hotels fill quick. I've always driven up and parked and drove back home.

Title town brewing is meh. Building is cool, there are some cool pinball machines but that's it.

Appreciate it, thanks a lot.

Chris

Just want to add / emphasize, a game at Lambeau is not like any other pro sports experience. It truly is a "field of dreams", popping up out of a neighborhood of non descript small houses. The stadium has several restaurants in it that are open all year. People have weddings there. Around 50% of the city's entire population will be in the stadium during the game. "Downtown" Green Bay covers about 10 - 20 blocks total. There is really nothing else in Green Bay that is a "must see". But that just emphasizes what this team is - a team owned by the people (about 537,000 of them), not by some untouchable powerful elite and catering to elites.

If the weather is still nice during your visit, you may want to check out Door county (Sturgeon Bay area, the peninsula sticking into Lake Michigan) for some "touristy" non football things to do like fish boils, candle shops, cherry products and bed & breakfasts.

Just want to add / emphasize, a game at Lambeau is not like any other pro sports experience. It truly is a "field of dreams", popping up out of a neighborhood of non descript small houses. The stadium has several restaurants in it that are open all year. People have weddings there. Around 50% of the city's entire population will be in the stadium during the game. "Downtown" Green Bay covers about 10 - 20 blocks total. There is really nothing else in Green Bay that is a "must see". But that just emphasizes what this team is - a team owned by the people (about 537,000 of them), not by some untouchable powerful elite and catering to elites.

If the weather is still nice during your visit, you may want to check out Door county (Sturgeon Bay area, the peninsula sticking into Lake Michigan) for some "touristy" non football things to do like fish boils, candle shops, cherry products and bed & breakfasts.

Hey @NTBeer ,
The fact that the team is basically fan-owned is one of those mysterious things that us "TV Fans" think only happens in the movies or minor league sports. I still have trouble wrapping my head around it for sure. Been following Green and Gold since my young adult days...40-odd years or so (think Lynn Dickey).

I've taken your and the other comments here back to my brothers so they are also aware of the amenities and the fact we will have to book rooms on May 12, when the schedule is released.

It's great that you folks have taken the time to answer a few questions and provide advice. It is much appreciated.

Cheers!

Chris

My favorite Packer memory is Lynn Dickey throwing touchdowns on like 3 back to back 3 or 4 play drives in a first quarter because he was so sick from stomach flu that he needed to get back to the bench to throw up.

I might have some of those details a bit off as my consciousness was frequently altered in those days but that's how I remember it 😉

Any breweries or brew pubs you would recommend as not to miss?
Ahnapee Brewery (link) has never disappointed me when I've been in that area of WI. They had a "cold extraction" stout on tap a number of years ago; and on my random visits there, I find that their taps contain nice blend of classic, trendy, and 'experimental' beers.

The Door county (Sturgeon Bay) area is enjoyable in the summer ("tourist") season. Businesses may (or may not) be open during "football" season - so plan ahead for best results.

My favorite Packer memory is Lynn Dickey throwing touchdowns on like 3 back to back 3 or 4 play drives in a first quarter because he was so sick from stomach flu that he needed to get back to the bench to throw up.

I might have some of those details a bit off as my consciousness was frequently altered in those days but that's how I remember it 😉

Altered consciousness, eh? (takes a deep breath through pinched forefinger and thumb) No idea what you're talking about. :cool:

Ahnapee Brewery (link) has never disappointed me when I've been in that area of WI. They had a "cold extraction" stout on tap a number of years ago; and on my random visits there, I find that their taps contain nice blend of classic, trendy, and 'experimental' beers.

The Door county (Sturgeon Bay) area is enjoyable in the summer ("tourist") season. Businesses may (or may not) be open during "football" season - so plan ahead for best results.

Thanks for the information, @BrewnWKopperKat . If history is any indicator, Patriots visit to Green Bay will be from late October onwards, so I think Sturgeon Bay will be put on a back burner for now.

Cheers!

Chris

I actively root against the packers, but I did live in the Green Bay area for several years.

If you have the time, go to Door County. There are lots of breweries and wineries there. If you're into wineries, I highly recommend the Door County trolley Winery tour. The only winery that trolley doesn't hit that I like is Stones Throw Winery, but from the sound of it that winery owner might be a little difficult to work with. I still liked the wine, though.

I remember when a craft beer enthusiast friend of mine came to visit from out of state, we hit every brewery in Door except for Shipwreaked. I DD'd and we started at the first place as soon as it opened so that we could hit them all. We ended with Ahnapee in Algoma, and it was a beautiful day and we had a nice view of Lake Michigan.

If you're looking to stay closer to town, then I'd recommend Titletown Brewing Company. Hinterland may have moved over by the stadium, but IMHO Titletown Brewing Company (TBC) has the good beer. Not that Hinterland was bad, I just like TBC more. If you are also interested in the bar scene in the area, all you'd have to do after eating at TBC would be cross the bridge and hang a right. If you're interested in the Homebrew Shop in Green Bay, House of Homebrew is also near TBC. The people working at House of Homebrew are pretty friendly. If someone at House of Homebrew responds "Reasonably well" after you ask how they're doing, let me know.

If you're into wine, I'd recommend The Bottle Room, which was (is?) somewhere between Howard and Suamico, right off the highway. They also have a pretty good selection of beer and distilled beverages. It would be a nice place to check out after a leisurely walk through Barkhausen Waterfowl Preserve, if that's the kind of thing you enjoy.

Those are really the highlights of visiting Green Bay. If you can't go to Door County, or they're closed for off-peak season, I'd recommend you stay in the Appleton area. I'm pretty sure there are a couple of decent breweries around there and they'd have a better selection of touristy stuff. The only thing Green Bay really has going for it is the football team.

I hope your team loses in a show of ineptitude that people talk about for decades.

If you're going to an actual game, the stadium tour is kind of a waste, just get in the stadium early and walk around. My recollection of the unique offerings the stadium tour had that I didn't get from just attending the game were a peek in the private suites and a chance to walk out on the field. The private suite was just like peeking into a fancy hotel room without a bedroom but with a view of the field, not worth it. Walking on the field... you'd have to assign a value to that yourself.

I wholeheartedly disagree with your statement about Titletown Brewing Company, but I also wonder if we visited it at very different times. I don't remember any pinball machines. Going to eat and have a beer at TBC is on my list of things to do in GB whenever I visit.

With regards to Ahnapee Brewery (link) this spring (2022), check their web site for the status of their Algoma tap room. They also have a second tap room just north of Green Bay.

One Barrel Brewing (Egg Harbor) is another brewery that has been good the couple of times I have been there.

Slightly off topic: Over the last couple of years a couple of distilleries have opened in the Door Peninsula.

October 2nd. Should have good weather if it doesn't rain, leaves just starting to change.

Yeah, we lucked in there. Saw the game leaked on CBSSports.com and got a hotel before the rush. Tickets are starting to show up on the resale sites and my youngest brother is a Hawkeye so he's tasked with finding us the seats. Should be a great time!

Thanks again for the help.

Chris

I live 35 miles from Green Bay, born & raised in 'Sconsin and never want to leave. I get up there quite a bit, and have been to several Packer games as opportunities arise. At the game I drink friggin Blue Moon because at about $11 a pop, it's the best "deal". 💩

The stadium is between a residential district and a somewhat commercial district, surrounded by dozens of good fun bar/restaurants. There are fancy hotels right there but pretty sure they are booked for over a year in advance. There are good breweries away from the stadium downtown worth checking out, Titletown and my favorite Copper State.

Downtown:

Titletown Brewing used to be outstanding but have kind of sold out, and laid off their former brewmaster that brought them to excellence, so I can't love them anymore.

Copper State has the best beer in town. Get the Kolsch or Lager, these are almost as good as from Germany. And of course they have all the hazies and sours that people love as well.

Other Breweries:

Hinterland is in the middle of the stadium parking lot and is pretty darn good. Relatively expensive/fancy but no longer snooty as they were years ago.

Badger State is two blocks east of the stadium and is pretty darn outstanding. Famous for their brown and coffee brown, they also have a huge selection of like 20-something different beers they make on site as well as guest beers. Must see.

Stillmank and Noble Roots on the far east side of town are a drive but worth it. Both are cute little places started up by homebrewers, and they make great stuff and give a lot of love to homebrewers, so we love them back. Zambaldi, farther southwards, same story. Honor these guys with visits if you can.

There really is nothing else to do in Green Bay, but to watch football, eat, drink, and be merry. If you want more recommendations, let me know and I'll see what else I can pull out. Cheers.

When did that happen?

Dave Oldenburg was phased out approximately 5 years ago. He's at Hinder Brewing now in Waupaca (about an hour west of Green Bay). He and I went through the BJCP course together in 2007-ish. I tried looking up his BJCP number, mine is A0511 so his must be like A0510 or something like that. Not that he knows me from Adam but anyway.

Last edited:
Back