How often do you drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyg

Reaction score
While having dinner with SWMBO & some friends, we got on the topic of beer and "drinks". The host who drinks good whiskey mentioned he still had the same bottle since the last time he had us over (6 months ago). I mentioned I would have finished by now. During the conversation it came about that I have a (1) drink almost every day. SWMBO has maybe a glass of wine every otherday. The host and his wife are strictly social drinkers. (it should be noted that 1 of the hosts although a social drinker, likes to do shots of 151).
Anyway after I mentioned I have a drink a day I felt the judgmental glare from everyone except SWMBO.

I have been a home wine maker for 10 years, I have been a beer drinker, whiskey drinker alot longer. I am going to start brewing beer soon. I come from a long line of recreational drinkers. We do yard work, we have a beer and/or a whiskey. We play golf we have a beer and a whiskey. The holidays roll around, we have a beer and a whiskey.

Being that I have over 200 bottles of wine in my basement, I think nothing of opening up a bottle and having a glass every night over the course of a day or 2.
I also think nothing of having A beer when I get home from work. maybe 1 before dinner, one after while watching the ball game.

I know I dont have any issues. I have boundries, I never have more than I should, never missed a day of work etc...etc....

I know people who are in "the program" and I am in no way trying to start a debate on addictions and health issues or denial.
I am on the other hand, maybe trying to confirm that I am not a freak .

When I mentioned this to my wife, her response was "home brewers and vintners are just different".
She did not have issue and does not think it is "abnormal" but acknowledged that I DO have 1 almost every day.

So my question is
1- how often do you have a drink
2-how many do you typically have.
3- is this because you have brew & have a stock pile?

To the admin, if this topic is out of bounds, feel free to delete and send me to the corner with a dunce cap!
:tank:

I drink all day long... just different liquids :D

As for alcoholic beverages, everyday. Maybe I'll miss a day here or there, but pretty much everyday. I'll have typically 30 oz a night of "regular" strength beer (5-7%), maybe more or less. I do these things because I like them, amen! :D

I like nearly every alcohol but prefer the non-syrupy stuff because .... you know .... too much sugar is bad for you :p

1. I have a drink 5 days or more out of the week.
2. 1-2 drinks.
3. Because i appreciate the finer things in life.

As for the "social" drinkers that I know... don't have a place judge someone who has 1-2 drinks most nights of the week when the "social" drinkers go out every Friday/Saturday night and drink whatever is cheap till they cant stand up... :tank:

Before I started homebrewing I would generally go through a sixer of goodbeer a week with the addition of some more gourmet beers at the weekend. A 750ml belgian or similar at the weekend.

These days I try to restrict myself to Thursday night football 1-2, Friday 3-5, Saturday 3-5 and Sunday 2-4. It is very hard not to pull a cold beer from ones tap with dinner every evening and I do not successfully resist the urge every day. I see nothing wrong with daily beer/wine/spirit if it does not impact your health or responsibilities. Everything in moderation including moderation.

This is a very different picture than my teens and twenties to which, I'm sure others would agree.

I too usually have 1 'drink' a day, if I have a scotch/bourbon/whiskey it probably counted as 2 drinks. Some nights I have 2 drinks (most of my beers are 6% or higher, so technically each beer is 2 drinks... but whose counting).

SWMBO always says I can have a beer a night and its not big deal. I'll skip some nights cause then I know later in the week I can 'bank' some beers for Friday night.

It's definitely a far cry from my early 20s bachelor days where I'd blow through a 12-pack a nigt of whatever, 4-5 nights a week (never missed work because of it, or any DUIs). Not bragging, god I could never drink like that again. Just being truthful. I think people that have 2 or 3 or even 4 beers a night, meh, thats really not that much, not to me anyway. Are you stumbling around throwing up all over the carpet (it really ties the room together you know), then maybe you have a drinking problem. Do you have 2, 3, 4 beers a night and cook dinner without lighting the kitchen on fire, and have a nice dinner with your significant other, then you probably dont have a drinking problem.

I've cut back to weekends recently just to reduce my carb intake, but before that I averaged 1-2 homebrews per night depending on activities (mostly 4-5%). Now I try to stick to 2 days per week.
Depending on what it is and how good it's tasting I can have 1 to 4.
It doesn't hurt to have a couple of kegs tapped but mostly it's just because I enjoy the flavor. I never feel like I "need" or "deserve" one, I just prefer the taste of malt and hops over water. And if I'm going to get the calories anyway I prefer fizzy hops over fizzy cola.

Most of my friends are craft beer guys so they're similar: it's not unheard of to have a good beer every evening, whether socially or as part of their alone time (i.e. after the kids are asleep)

I will say that I do drink more than I would if I didn't brew because I always have beer on hand, although I probably wouldn't drink much less without it.

That said, I'm comfortable with how much I drink. Average of 2-ish to 3-ish "drinks" a night (ie 12 oz worth of 5% alcohol as it's usually defined), so if I'm drinking something stronger it'll be less, session beers more, pretty common since I brew a lot of 3-3.5% session beers for me to have 3 or 4 bottles a night, equivalent to that 2ish to 3ish drinks range. Some nights it'll be 4 drinks, some nights it's no alcohol. If I'm doing hard liquor, I'm a whisk(e)y guy too, particularly of the Irish or Scotch variety, at which point I'll have my two "drinks" in a glass, nurse it for a while, and that'd usually be the only thing for the night.

My wife thinks I drink more than I should (hence why I'm so aware of what I drink to prove I drink less than she thinks I do), and the US medical community would probably agree with her, but I don't have a problem with it. If I do, it's more for the excess calories than the alcohol. But as far as the "recommended" maximum by US health officials for healthy moderate drinking (2 "drinks" per day for adult males) I'm barely past it. Far from excessive in my book.

However, people who socially drink but get smashed in the process and accuse daily or lone drinkers (ie sitting at home alone drinking a beer like I am now) of excessive drinking are hypocrites. Because binge drinking is just as bad (and potentially worse) than daily drinking. And my wife will freely admit that she's in the well into binge drinker camp (10+ vodka shots and the like). However, she drinks maybe once a month, where I'm drinking alcohol almost every day. I think 5 or 6 drinks is considered to be the "excessive" point for binge drinking.

So, I guess point is that moderate daily drinking isn't as bad as sporadic highly excessive drinking.

Too much right now. My job stresses me out so much that I take it out on my liver at the moment.

Twice a week 4-6 very hoppy 6%+ beers and on Fridays... Erm... Usually until I fall asleep sitting up with one in hand. Once things calm down and work is a little easier that will all get cut in half but right now, I haven't the willpower. The twice a week is usually Tues & Thurs to reset and get through the rest of the week.

A beer or three every day, though its 1 most weekday evenings. Every once in awhile I like to abstain for a few straight days just to mix it up.

Although I'm sure sponsored by Docs that like to have a drink or two, there are studies that show 1-2 drinks/day for men and 1 drink/day for women is healthy for your heart. :Cheers: Going beyond that eliminates all benefit though.

Not all that often actually. I love brewing. I love the science and the experimentation behind it. I love the equipment. I love building and designing setups and recipes. I LOVE beer. I just dont drink much. I was raised in a household that didnt drink, and that has kind of stuck with me. When I do, I certainly drink responsibly, however that lingering fear of alcoholism is always in the back of my mind (runs deep on both sides of my family), so no matter how much I want to, I cant force myself to have a beer every day after work, or with dinner. A couple times a week I will, but that is about it. Rarely more than one in a sitting. Never enough to get fully intoxicated.

I usually have a beer or glass of wine with dinner; call it daily (at least five days per week). Going to a party, I'll have a few (2-4) over the course of the event. If we host a get together, I might have a couple more than if out. A couple of times I was excited to show off my creations and might have lost count :)

I try not to drink M, T, or W. Just T, F, S, Sun. And usually a beer or two (maybe 3) those nights. So I guess that averages to more than one per day.

I drink every day after work (and on weekends), the amount varies by what I'm drinking. If I decide to drink craft beers that day, I only drink craft. If I decide to drink Busch Light, I only drink Busch Light.

Weekdays:

Craft Beer - 2 to 3/night
Busch Light - 4 to 6/night

Weekends:

Craft Beer - 6/day
Busch Light - 10-15/day

Have a great job, am not a drunk... just love beer.

Some weeks I drink daily, others I just drink a few days out of the week. I have at least 2-4 beers at a time. I drink because I like it. I drink a healthy balance of craft beer and home brew.

1. Typically everyday
2. During the week, 1-2 beers. We'll see how that goes when it's on tap :)
3. Not really. I'm coming out of a brewing drought, and consumption hasn't really changed. I appreciate beer, and enjoy sampling.

I drink 1-2 daily. See nothing wrong with it. 2 normal 5-6% beers or 1 high % beer.

Dogfish 120 weekend only or use a bottle stopper 'cause one bottle and :drunk:

I drink everyday, more or less. Not too excess, but definitely a beer on most days. I try to give my liver a break every one in a while by abstaining for an evening or two. But honestly that's rarer than it probably should be. Knowing I want to continue to be able to drink as much as I damn well please til the day I die, I'm starting to look into diets and teas that promote liver health so I can continue to drink like a functional fish.

I had been going strong at a drink-every-day pace for a while, usually drinking a minimum of 2 a night. I kind of felt like it was a bad habit, especially when I tried to remember the last time I had not had a drink for a day. Couldn't think of it.

So I started a low carb diet to get healthy and the first two weeks = no alcohol. I missed the beer a bit for a day or two, but that was about it. Since doing that 2 months ago, I'll drink a bottle or two maybe a couple times during the week, then a couple on the weekend, but thats about it.

Like you, I have a lot of alcohol stored up. We have wine, spirits, and hundreds of bottles of beer. We just don't drink it like we used to, but I like to have it on hand for some reason (most of it is "aging" anyways).

I enjoy brewing, but don't like the effects of alcohol, so I tend to give away a lot or just not drink more than two at a time. Now that I have lost weight from said diet, I have to be careful with my drinks as well - they hit me much harder, I found out Friday...

I'd say I drink on average about 2 beers every day. Some days/weekends it exceeds that, but 2 seems to be my magic number.

I use to be a big wine drinker, and I still love wine, but I stopped drinking it daily for a couple reasons. First, I started brewing. Then, I discovered I felt a LOT better drinking two homebrews than I did two glasses of dry red wine.

I drink because I like it, and I think we ALL deserve a break from the day's stresses and chaos. I also drink because I love the ritual of winding down over drinks with my SO while we/I cook dinner. I also drink because I'm hungry after work, and that first beer almost serves as an appetizer while I'm cooking!

Two seems to be my number because after two, my taste buds change, and the drink starts to taste not quite as good as it did on a fresh pallet and empty stomach. Also, you never hate yourself after two drinks, and come back the next night still loving it and wanting that sacred evening "ritual" all over again:mug:

Usually 1-3 a day, more on the weekends. Much more when friends or family are involved.

Every now and then I'll cut myself back to "only on the weekends".

2-3 pints a night, more if there's company involved/Friday. I feel like I had a good excuse when I was cooking 6 days a week but I'm drinking more managing 5 days a week.

Every day but not nearly enough to make me feel bad the next day except once in a while :)

Wife also enjoys her wine daily so its not an issue with us.

I drink a couple pints or so on weekdays, and maybe three or four on Fri/Sat/Sun. If I get home really late from work, I don't usually have a drink. I just moved into a brew-friendly apartment this past summer and now have a nice healthy stockpile, so I try to make a dent in it every day and invite people over to help make room for upcoming batches.

1: daily
2: anywhere from 1/2 serving of beer or wine (when I'm over my goal weight) to 3 drinks if we're in a social setting, or it's hot out and I'm working outside.
3: no, but having beer on hand helps. Without the homebrew, we'd probably drink a lot more wine. We drink for many reasons, most of our drinking is with our dinner meal. If I have more than 1 in a day, it has to happen early on - too late at night and I don't sleep well.

Since I started brewing I've been drinking more often than I used to, about 5 days per week. I always drink about the same amount, 2 beers or glasses of wine. I love to cook and really enjoy a drink while I'm cooking dinner. I recently read that women shouldn't have more than 7 drinks per week, which made me a bit paranoid about the amount I drink so I've cut down some. I don't know about that limit, though, as it seems pretty low compared to the amount people drink in other countries. I have a friend who's husband and brother-in-law, both from Uzbekistan, drink multiple shots of vodka every single day and think nothing of it.

Ww0ko5I.jpg

You are fine. Based on your initial post it would take you a month to go through a 5-gal keg. Most of us can't say that.

1- how often do you have a drink - Most days. Wifey is pretty cool, because its usually not much more than one for dinner an one after the kid goes to sleep while watching TV.
2-how many do you typically have. 1-5 depending on if its a weeknight or weekend.
3- is this because you have brew & have a stock pile? The reason I brew is to drink it. I find great pleasure in pouring a few beers "I've made" and if I run out I won't drink store bought stuff.

The glaring looks were because they were amazed you could make your own beer and wine. It's easy to impress simple folk!

Too much right now. My job stresses me out so much that I take it out on my liver at the moment.

Twice a week 4-6 very hoppy 6%+ beers and on Fridays... Erm... Usually until I fall asleep sitting up with one in hand. Once things calm down and work is a little easier that will all get cut in half but right now, I haven't the willpower. The twice a week is usually Tues & Thurs to reset and get through the rest of the week.

If you're worried about your liver, just get a blood test and see what your ALAT and GT values are.

But, to put it quite simply, if you are a heavy alcohol drinker then you also need to be a heavy coffee drinker. That will keep your liver functioning very well. Get yourself an automatic espresso machine! I drink about 6 shots of espresso per day and my ALAT 18 (range 10-70), GT 19 (range 15-115). Tested a few days ago. Is it possible that they tested someone else's liver? :drunk:

I drink sporadically. On a nice summer day I can put away 3 or 4 without even trying but when winter comes I might have 3 a week. I do drink more when I have more beer on hand though, especially my favorite beers like IPA or Baltic Porters. My "goal" is to average no more than 5 beers a week because that is what my wife feels comfortable with. She isn't policing me or anything, it is just that I respect her opinions and I can live with 5 beers a week. I think the "social" drinkers you were around were probably feeling like your habits were odd because they were being myopic and self centered. In the world view a drink a day is very moderate and up to 3 drinks per day is moderate in many many areas. Why someone drinks is more important than how often someone drinks in my mind.

I drink something just about everyday. Most days it's just a glass or two.
Last night, I had a Anchor Holiday 12oz, 20oz of my Ginger Rhubarb Brett and a bomber of Dogfish Head Red and White. 5.5%, 7.3% and 10% respectively.

****, I have at least a couple beers a day...usually. But if I'm home with nothing but budlight and vodka, I won't drink. I drink good beer because I love it, not because I like the buzz.

Back