Lalvin 1116 applejack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clearpower

Reaction score
The title says it all, I started 5 gallons of apple wine using lalvin 1116 with juice, 4 cans of concentrate, and about 3 pounds of sugar.

I plan to freeze concentrate it to make apple jack for this fall and winter. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with lalvin 1116, apple wine, or making apple jack.

Have folks been happy with lalvin 1116 for apple wines? I have yet to use it I typically just brew ciders with ale yeasts and the likes, but I wasn't trying to make apple jack with 7% abv cider and have to freeze it 5+ times to finish it.

-thanks

1116 is fine for some. I still swear by nottingham ale yeast for apple wine.
I once did a test and got nottingham up to 24%abv and it NEVER didnt taste like rocket fuel, even after 10 years so either stabilize or ferment dry to 10-14% and freeze ladle.
It leaves a ton of apple flavor but I'd suggest using fresh crabapples for applejack if you can get em.

Lovely thank you guys! It's still chugging along I feel it's gonna take a while for it to finish because we loaded it up with fermentables trying to get a nice abv to help aid freeze concentration.

Lovely thank you guys! It's still chugging along I feel it's gonna take a while for it to finish because we loaded it up with fermentables trying to get a nice abv to help aid freeze concentration.
I make applejack from juice and pulp. It concentrates everything so if your yeast leaves residual sugar then sweetness will be amplified. Same deal with acidic apples.

I tried using crabapples once but there was just too much malic acid. It was like paint stripper.

Has anyone used Lanvin D47 for applejack?

Well I just pulped the apples I have so far. Been a terrible year for apples. Only have 5 gallons of pulp. It's sitting with some pectic enzyme while I get my starter going.

Crabapple applejack that's undergone MLF has a gorgeous mouthfeel to counter the increased viscosity and increased sweetness of the alcohol. I guess if you dont want to let it age then avoid it.

Crabapple applejack that's undergone MLF has a gorgeous mouthfeel to counter the increased viscosity and increased sweetness of the alcohol. I guess if you dont want to let it age then avoid it.was drinkable.

There is a huge variation in crabapples too and my choice was probably not well suited to the job.
Maybe I should have used L1122 yeast to tone down the acid. Even after MLF the wine needed 18 months before it

Not sure you have to freeze it 5 times to concentrate it.
I have made applejack with apple wine using generic apple juice, frozen juice concentrate, and sugar and had it come out well with EC1118 and with D47. I'm sure 1116 will be fine.
I ferment, then freeze in 2L bottles to -8-10°F for at least several days and turn them upside down as they thaw into jars or bottles, collecting about 1/3 of volume. Has always tasted good with guesstimated 25%ish ABV.

Latest posts

Back