Lallemand Voss Kveik on a cream ale, what a monster.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saunassa

One Life Brewing #lifeistooshortforcrappybeer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I will find out the end of the week how it tastes but wow did it ferment fast. I put the whole sachet of their dry yeast in. Just poured it on top of the wort at 3:30 pm and by 5:30 pm a krausen had formed and was a churning mass of yeast. By 9 I could barely keep the airlock filled. Cripes was that agressive. 1.050 to 1.014 in 15 hours.
Screenshot_20200803-122025.png

Crazy fermentation speed! Did you use any yeast nutrient? Finings? What style of beer? All grain? Really interested to hear the taste test soon.

I've got some Lallemand Voss yeast but haven't used it yet, despite it being summer in AZ and tap water being nearly 90F. I am also curious if anyone has experience fermenting Voss under any kind of pressure and how it went.

A cream ale: modified version of biermunchers which always turns out great with us-05. All grain, biab so there was a bit of trub in the fermenter which maybe helps (?) Only nutrient was a big pinch of yeast nutrient I use for mead. I used a fermwrap to hold it at 85F which helps keep it fermenting. krausen had already fallen by late last night. 36 hours after pitch

Awesome! I'll be using my harvested Voss Kveik in a cream ale this weekend. Made a Mirror Pond Pale Ale clone with it that I bottled yesterday. I think it worked so fast I missed the krausen. Left it outside to warm up and it got skunked because my primary is translucent. Ended up dry hopping it and it's got a grapefruit aroma, with a little green bottle European lager going for it.

My bmb are clear so I never leave them outside. You could pitch it around 95 and wrap with a blanket and it would probably hold its own around 80-85. Some people put it in the bath tub filled with hot water for the first day.

Essentially mirrors exactly, including fermentation temp of 85F, my last Voss/cream ale experience. Ended up with a hint of lemon-lime which went over very well with the friends.

Essentially mirrors exactly, including fermentation temp of 85F, my last Voss/cream ale experience. Ended up with a hint of lemon-lime which went over very well with the friends.
I believe you had a post or someone else recently did about a cream ale. That's the reason I decided to try it for this brew. Excited to see if it comes out similar.

I believe you had a post or someone else recently did about a cream ale. That's the reason I decided to try it for this brew. Excited to see if it comes out similar.
Yes, I did so that may well have been me. Happy to see the inspiration and, hopefully, you enjoy the end result.

Well bottled and kegged it. Thinking I should have put my whole ounce of home grown Willamette in at 60 for more bitterness versus .6 @60 and .6 @ 30. Definitely tastes different then with us-05. Sort of citrus/lemon while I only used liberty and Willamette. Hope more bitter once conditioned.
IMG_20200810_185250733.jpg

Great post. I bought a packet last week because I wanted to do an extract cream ale with it. Curious about the citrus/lime notes. Last two times I used Voss it was from TYB for a IPA and an Imperial saison. They both smelled like marmalade while fermenting and had definite orange notes, although that faded in the saison as I bottle aged it. Stoked to see how this turns out. Making it this weekend since it will be 100+f this Saturday

Not telling anybody what to do but you only need 1/2 a pack per batch. (5.5g.). It will still chew right through your worts.
I've made two 1.080 ish beers and it chomped right through those in 4 days tops. YMMV.
Pitched dry/direct on to 95* wort, wrapped in blanket. Started "cooking" in just a couple of hours. Yeah, it's a monster.
Cheers,:mug:
Joel B.

@Jayjay1976 For me I used a 6 gal Fermonster @ 5.25. gal. They were OK with just an air lock but it was close. I had my blow off tube set up ready just in case though. In another thread about this yeast somebody said they had blow off but I don't remember if they said any thing about what, if any, head space. My advice would have your blow off set-up at the ready if you have one.
Cheers, :mug:
Joel B.

@Jayjay1976 For me I used a 6 gal Fermonster @ 5.25. gal. They were OK with just an air lock but it was close. I had my blow off tube set up ready just in case though. In another thread about this yeast somebody said they had blow off but I don't remember if they said any thing about what, if any, head space. My advice would have your blow off set-up at the ready if you have one.
Joel B.
Oh good, I ferment 5.75 gal batches in 7 gal fermonsters. I brewed a few batches with Hornindal and Voss last year and I did use a blowoff tube, just can't recall whether it was necessary.

Only time I experienced a similar nuclear fermentation was then I was brewing different versions of a cream ale to determine which one I enjoyed best. The one with the table sugar took off similar to a bomb. Active and vigorous fermentation. This was using a repitched Wyeast 1056.

Well I brought the keg to a little gathering plus bottles of the cream ale from last month so that they could compare and let me know.
While the first one with us-05 had dropped clear the beer was a bit more bitter. The Voss had a slight citrus lemon flavor, the bitter was not as 'sharp' and all preferred it. So it is now my house cream ale.

Btw what surprised me was last weekend when I kegged it the hops were pretty mild. Now after a week of 'aging' they were more noticible and no longer a dumper.

@Saunassa Yeah, What a deal, I'm the opposite of a hop-head, but,,,, The second time using this yeast (same pack and recipe) somehow the hop character got lost. Never thought I'd say "where's the hops". Bottled today, just a boozy liquid, drinkable but not what the first one was.
Two diff's, (1) maintained 95-97* this time instead of wrapped in blankets and let self cool as ferment slowed. (2) No steeping grain.(no 1lb. carared). neither should effect IBU's in my mind.
Another diff was this one cleared better, not 100% clear but it might as it conditions. That might be because of lack of steeping grain, just guessing.
Yeah, strange.
Joel B.

A cream ale: modified version of biermunchers which always turns out great with us-05. All grain, biab so there was a bit of trub in the fermenter which maybe helps (?) Only nutrient was a big pinch of yeast nutrient I use for mead. I used a fermwrap to hold it at 85F which helps keep it fermenting. krausen had already fallen by late last night. 36 hours after pitch
Would love to see the recipe

Yes I did and again it came out fine. I am really surprised at how clear it drops after a week in the fridge whether in the keg or bottled. I have to do this a few more times so I can serve it at a club organized brew fest

Hi, im planning to brew a cream ale and gry this yeast, here at my place temperatures are always at 95-100F, so im wondering if i can use this yeast without temperature control, i read that you had some lemon notes but those this mean it ended a bit sour?

Back