LalBrew London has eaten my beer and is coming for me next

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexKay

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I pitched yesterday into 1.058 wort. It's now down to 1.017 (~65% attenuation) just 23 hours later, and still bubbling furiously. Temperature went up overnight to 8 degrees F above ambient, so I don't know if I'm going to get a hot, estery mess. Anyone have any experience with this yeast?

One thing that's relatively unique about LalBrew London is

LalBrew London does not utilize the sugar maltotriose [1]

I've used it a couple of times for all grain batches were a highly ferment-able wort is created and London (or similar strain) is used to get the desired FG. In the context of these recipes, DME/LME is not "highly fermentable".

I've also used London (or Windsor) a couple of times with DME-based recipes. Fermentation is fast; FG tends to end up in the upper teens.

===========================================

[1] LalBrew London™ – English-Style Ale Yeast | Lallemand Brewing

Yep, that's pretty much where it bottomed out. Final gravity in 23 hours, wow. I usually leave beer in the fermenter for 2 weeks, but I'm not sure that'll be necessary with this batch.

It's a good thing I was fermenting 2.5 gallons in a 4 gallon bucket.

I really love the speed of English strains and how hard they flocculate. I never use finings of any kind and I bottle condition and I can count on British yeasts giving my a crystal clear beer.

Yep, that's pretty much where it bottomed out. Final gravity in 23 hours, wow. I usually leave beer in the fermenter for 2 weeks, but I'm not sure that'll be necessary with this batch.

It's a good thing I was fermenting 2.5 gallons in a 4 gallon bucket.
It may not have bottomed out yet, I reckon. It may keep nibbling away.

I really love the speed of English strains and how hard they flocculate. I never use finings of any kind and I bottle condition and I can count on British yeasts giving my a crystal clear beer.
Unfortunately, London is more like Windsor, pretty powdery.

It may not have bottomed out yet, I reckon. It may keep nibbling away.
I would also wait at least 9 days, better 12. Sometimes this yeast has the tendency to wake up again after a few days of laziness.

Fermenting it open for the first two days might help to avoid this.

My experience with London is that if I wait, I get a few more points. In any case, it shouldn't be a "hot estery mess." For a British strain it is pretty neutral/clean.

1.011 now. No dry hopping, no sugar added to the bucket ... does this look like a normal fermentation? No. No, it does not.
chart-3.png

Back