Lalbrew Diamond Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshua Hughes

Reaction score
Anyone used Lalbrew Diamond Lager? I’ve read that it is the same/similar strain to the 34/70. I have not used either. I am hoping to get the temp down in the 50’s. Low 60’s isn’t an issue. If the Lalbrew can ferment warmer than the 50-59 the pack says like the 34/70 then I’m good. If not I’ll have to use either us-05 or Nottingham. Planning Munich dunkel for brewing tomorrow.

I have used it interchangeably with W34/70 in my usual rotation lager recipes. Tastes and works the same to me and seems to be easier to get sometimes.

thats actually why I have it instead. A few months ago when I was jut getting started I wanted to get a pack of 34/70 and try a Pilsner something Approachable for some friends. I could not get the 34/70 then.

Assuming I can keep my cooler (no frig) below 60 I should be ok? I do small batches so keeping ice bottles won’t be hard

I have a fermentation chamber that I use for ales and lagers that I keep set at 64f for both. After fermentation is over, I pull it out of the chamber for a D rest for a few days then keg it. Let it lager in the keg for 8 weeks then drink it.

I have a fermentation chamber that I use for ales and lagers that I keep set at 64f for both. After fermentation is over, I pull it out of the chamber for a D rest for a few days then keg it. Let it lager in the keg for 8 weeks then drink it.
At 64f lager yeast shouldn't need a D rest.

Anyone used Lalbrew Diamond Lager? I’ve read that it is the same/similar strain to the 34/70. I have not used either. I am hoping to get the temp down in the 50’s. Low 60’s isn’t an issue. If the Lalbrew can ferment warmer than the 50-59 the pack says like the 34/70 then I’m good. If not I’ll have to use either us-05 or Nottingham. Planning Munich dunkel for brewing tomorrow.
I’ve used both, but never at ale temps. I have used each in my house Pilsner and can’t really tell a difference. There is some discussion in the warm fermented lager thread that discusses positive results at higher temps for Diamond yeast. Warm Fermented Lager Thread starting around post #1349

I've been meaning to post this in one of the dry yeast threads. My third split batch of w34/70 and Diamond was shared with a few guys at the local craft beer pub: two Japanese guys, two Americans, and an Englishman.

L08z3PA.jpg

The w34/70 is in the back row, the Diamond in the front. These were both 2L batches, pressure fermented (1 bar) at around 23C.

Comments:
"The w34/70 has a bit more flavor. A hint of toffee?"
"The w34/70 has a more complex flavor."
"The w34/70 is a bit tart."
"The Diamond version is like soda."

Last night, I sampled the "properly" fermented and lagered (4 weeks) Diamond batch made with the same wort, and was a little disappointed. The samples were all tasty, but the final beer was a bit thinner than expected, and lacked in hop aroma. The grain bill was pilsner, with 30% vienna and some carapils and acidulated malt. Hops were Hallertauer Mittelfrüh at 25 and 5.

im wondering if I should do this “right” at lager fermentation temps, assuming I keep it low into the 50‘s or mid 60’s. with my batch size I can keep it cool enough. So I guess there is no reason to brew it at ale temps? This is my first lager.

IIRC, someone reported success with Diamond in the warm-fermented lager thread, but if it were me, and I had the means to ferment cool and had enough yeast to pitch cool, I'd go that way.

That’s really what I’m thinking. Plus it will be like a Pinocchio growing into a real boy moment 🤣. Small batch, only 1.5 gallons and I have 1 pack so I’ll be good on having enough.

Sorry for the thread resurrection. I'm wondering if any of ye who have used this yeast have done a diacetyl rest, or know if it is necessary. The Lallemend datasheet doesn't say anything about it

Sorry for the thread resurrection. I'm wondering if any of ye who have used this yeast have done a diacetyl rest, or know if it is necessary. The Lallemend datasheet doesn't say anything about it
I have used this yeast on a couple of batches. Fermented around 64-66 degrees room temp. I did not notice any issues with diacetyl.

Back