Laid off and nothing to do but read HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau815

Reaction score
Anyone else pick up heavily on this brewing habit to eat up some time while job hunting? Ever since The Hartford Insurance Co. threw me out on my @ss, Ive become a master brewer lol. Not really but I read about every thread known to man on here. Something good can come out of something bad after all. :mug:

Put some of that effort into searching for a job and you'll be set.

(just flipping you crap)

Anyone else pick up heavily on this brewing habit to eat up some time while job hunting? Ever since The Hartford Insurance Co. threw me out on my @ss, Ive become a master brewer lol. Not really but I read about every thread known to man on here. Something good can come out of something bad after all. :mug:

Sorry to hear about your layoffs. I'm not laid off, but I have read every thread here, multiple times! I do a lot of the I.T. work for my office, so perusing HBT looks like work to everyone around me. :)

I'm going to be doing my first batch in a few weeks, so I figure I'll have the process pretty much nailed by that point!

I'm laid-off right now too. I've got a new gig lined up, but it doesn't start until the end of April. I spend the first half (at least) of my days catching up on new posts. The tough part is not being able to sink silly amounts of $$ into all the toys and DIY projects I spend all my time reading about. Soon enough...

I too am a layed off HT junkie. It's amazing the ways you find to pinch-pennies and refine your brewing process when you have to.

To all you folks who've been laid off - good luck to you! I have some very close friends who have recently met the axe.

Also, my company is down below 50% of the employee levels we had this time last year, with more layoffs coming. Right now keeping fingers crossed as I am in sales/project management, so I would _hope_ that I'm relatively safe.

I am also laid off doing the active job hunt thing... Figure the brewing helps me to keep my chemical engineering skills a little sharper :)

I am also taking this opportunity to do all of the DIY projects (like MLT cooler) and get a number of batches in the brewing pipeline before the awful dead of summer hits (aka 120F outdoors). I got a pretty good severance package when I got laid off so it helps a lot...

Being laid off was also what it took for me to take a closer look at all grain brewing. The initial start-up was planned for, but there will be some cost savings in the cost per batch. Craigslist has been great for finding odds and ends here and there...

Soon here as well; just don't know my end date yet.

Pretty interesting when it hits so many real people.... even though you electronic bits on the interweb don't really count as "real people". ;)

Put some of that effort into searching for a job and you'll be set.

(just flipping you crap)

Im in upstate NY and its terrible here for jobs, I have been applying daily for 2 months. I have a masters degree in human resource management and a bachelors in criminal justice and I STILL am lucky to get an interview a month. Id relocate anywhere, its pretty bad out there.

I havent been laid off, but getting your hours cut down to 30 a week really puts a hurting on brewing. I am however proud to say that I've eaten more beans and rice than you'd like to know, haven't had a decent piece of meat in 4 months and have brewed every single weekend! Its amazing what a homebrewer will find to be proud of!

Semi-retired ,but make extra spending money buy doing small repairs and tile jobs that
are too small for the big guys.
Mostly word of mouth,but there are 1000's of home owners and elderly who can't find someone to do their minor repairs.
It's tough with the economy but I manage to get enough little jobs to get by and it gets me out of the house.

Laid off electrician here. I supposedly don't have to do a job search, b/c I'm going to get called back to work when business picks up. I'm getting my resume updated anyway, though. It's been six weeks and I'm sick of waiting. In the meantime, though, I've been reading a lot more than just HBT. Pretty much all I do is read- it's the only form of entertainment I can afford.

It's amazing to see how many people this economy funk is bringing down. I too am in a bad position, for the past three months our company has cut everyones salaries down 20%. Doesn't sound to bad unless your the only income in the house hold. Oh well, like many of you pioneers, I started doing more research, doing more projects at home, etc. I know have an all grain setup sitting in my garage ready to be used, but no money, time, sanity to do one at this moment. Hopefully within then next 2 months they will loosen the clamps on their wallets and go back to 100%. To all that have lost their jobs (or hours), keep your heads up and your glasses full! :rockin:

I was layed off Feb 6th Started HB a week later, I was in sales with Ferguson Enterprises a plumbing wholesale company, I made it a year of cuts and then the day came, but I might have something lined up with Walgreens in a managment position, had my first round of interviews today, now I have to go interview with the DM. So lets hope!!

I haven't worked a real job since last summer. I've been a homemaker ever since and the wife loves it. Only thing is, I can't do brew stuff when she's not home because she wants to help. I don't mind though, it's just one more thing we do together.

the PoB is also laid off. not in a profession that is easy to get hired in right now. my consolation is the fact that I just started AG brewing, so now i have a lot to learn again. I've been hitting the job search pretty hard, but i've also been spending quite a bit of time here. There are jobs out there for us somewhere. Keep up hope. In the meantime, we've got homebrew (and apfelwein!).

Workers comp sent me back to school. Finished that end of Dec. Started working with a producer (film/tv stuff) and have been told he can't afford me. Currently there is massive financial troubles in Canada's TV industry as well. <sigh> Well at least I rebuilt the system and purchased grains for the coming depression before my money runs out. lol

Well all be ok, we have computers and HBT, and sadly enough DEGREES, that doesn't mean a thing anymore. They cost you 50k+ but them years spent getting experience AND being paid are worth FAR more than spending 4 years in college (6 for me) and taking loans and owing when we could of been getting paid and gaining experience. Now what? I owe $$$ and cant find work... that's awesome... we still have this hobby... well all be okay

I feel everyone's pain. The last time I worked for renumeration was December 10th, 2007. Finally after almost 16 months of unemployment and literally dozens and dozens of interviews, I start a new job on monday. I can sympathize with the OP because I too was introduced to this hobby while being unemployed. After 90 posts, I am still a brew virgin. :^( I have actually slowed down on my posts as I do not want to have 100 posts without actually having brewed beer, lol.

Monday will be bittersweet as the day I start my job is the day the judge will rule on my foreclosure. Hopefully, the bank will be receptive to my lawyer's efforts to renegotiate. I wish you all the best! Good luck!!

I feel everyone's pain. The last time I worked for renumeration was December 10th, 2007. Finally after almost 16 months of unemployment and literally dozens and dozens of interviews, I start a new job on monday. I can sympathize with the OP because I too was introduced to this hobby while being unemployed. After 90 posts, I am still a brew virgin. :^( I have actually slowed down on my posts as I do not want to have 100 posts without actually having brewed beer, lol.

Monday will be bittersweet as the day I start my job is the day the judge will rule on my foreclosure. Hopefully, the bank will be receptive to my lawyer's efforts to renegotiate. I wish you all the best! Good luck!!

Now that you have that job you can finally get off your but and brew a dang bacth! :)

Go get jobs, ya bums! You're what's wrong with this country, ya moochers!!

OK I'm totally kidding. I feel your pain when it comes to the sting of layoffs.

Man, I feel for you guys, I really do. If you're looking for a new job that involves travel, paid food/housing, college tuition, and you're under the age of 38 and have no significant medical problems, let me know. I know of at least 4 companies that will hire you. ;)

Man, I feel for you guys, I really do. If you're looking for a new job that involves travel, paid food/housing, college tuition, and you're under the age of 38 and have no significant medical problems, let me know. I know of at least 4 companies that will hire you. ;)

Isn't that the truth. No matter what, I know the Air Force isn't going to fire me, and I get a paycheck twice a month that isn't too shabby. I'm lucky to not have to worry about the financial crisis, and I feel bad for those of you who are suffering through it. Good luck in your job searches.

Add another to the list... Been laid off for a couple of months now. Plenty of time to read HBT and brew. I was thinking of a name for a brew like, Laid off ale, furlough ale or something like that. Perhaps something a little more creative though.

Llama are them 4 the air force, army, navy and marines? I just got married and am almost 30 and want a house and a baby soon. Its not very practical for some of us. Besides my wife would kill me if i left her alone. And as for moochers, lol, I havent gotten one cent of anyones tax dollars so that's not me. I feel for the guy with all the interviews... Ive only gotten 2 in the past 2 months and every day i get a letter from someplace saying they selected another candidate. Makes ya feel great.

Hmmm. I'm 45, blind in one eye, with a history of kidney stones. I guess there's 4 companies that won't hire me........

Was laid off Dec 7 '07 with 6 months severance. Started the new job Feb 18 '08. Got to double dip for four months. Best of luck to all of you on your job search.

they won't fire you however you may get fired upon

Best of luck to all of you struggling right now. I was laid off in December...the last in my group to go...and it ended up being the best thing to happen to me. I found a better job that I really enjoy a few weeks later, and spent that first paycheck on my starter kit.

The only words of encouragement I can offer is to really stick with the job hunt and don't get too distracted with HBT. There are jobs out there, just a bit more competition. And once you land that job you want, the next batch will taste that much better...

I have certainly been there more than once. Everyone just keep applying. Apply for anything and everything that is remotely close to what you do. Even if you interview for a job you don't want or doesn't fit at all, its interview practice and it keeps you busy. When you do get a phone call, you will sound more confident because you have been busy.

I agree fat guy. Its great practice. Somethings gotta come along soon... im taking the civil service April 4th for correction officer which i don't really like but whatever at least i can use one of my degrees with it, not that you even need one.

Back