Lagers and Fermenter Geometry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

korndog

Reaction score
Anybody know if there is any disadvantage to fermenting lagers in a conical? Or should I ask if there is any advantage to a flat bottomed vessel for lagers? :)

Thanks
KD

As long as temperature control isn't an issue, a conical has the advantage of not having to rack to secondary. You just dump the primary trub and lower the temperature. That would be sweet!

Word.

The only possible effect, the one you seem to be asking about, is temperature spikes in the yeast collecting in the conical. You can have issues with that many yeast cells in a compacted space all generating heat, but unless you are fermenting in volumes like a 10 bbl unitank, it should be pretty manageable without glycol or anything. Also, I don't think having a flat bottom fermenter solves the problem. In fact, the conical can fix the issue easier by letting you dump yeast.

Gordie

Word.

The only possible effect, the one you seem to be asking about, is temperature spikes in the yeast collecting in the conical. You can have issues with that many yeast cells in a compacted space all generating heat, but unless you are fermenting in volumes like a 10 bbl unitank, it should be pretty manageable without glycol or anything. Also, I don't think having a flat bottom fermenter solves the problem. In fact, the conical can fix the issue easier by letting you dump yeast.

Gordie

Thanks for the post. I brew lots of ales, but few lagers and was wondering about any issues in the cone. It seems to be a non-event though. Thanks.

Bumping an old thread here. I was at Sun King Brewery in Indianapolis talking with the owner. They have a special fermenter they use for lagers. It's a tank that looks like a bright tank layed on it's side (it's painted pink and called the pink pig). He said that they use this for lagers because a conical reduces the surface area of yeast that is in contact with the beer. He recomended that I not use my conical fermenter for lagers, but rather use a carboy. He says you will have better fermentation results.

I'm planning my first lager since having a conical (i've done a few in carboys) and am trying to decide if I want to do a 10gal batch in the conical or do 1 or 2 five gallon batches in carboys. Conical would be soooo much easier but I'm concerned about poor fermentation due to the shape of the fermenter.

thoughts?

Bumping an old thread here. I was at Sun King Brewery in Indianapolis talking with the owner. They have a special fermenter they use for lagers. It's a tank that looks like a bright tank layed on it's side (it's painted pink and called the pink pig). He said that they use this for lagers because a conical reduces the surface area of yeast that is in contact with the beer. He recomended that I not use my conical fermenter for lagers, but rather use a carboy. He says you will have better fermentation results.

I'm planning my first lager since having a conical (i've done a few in carboys) and am trying to decide if I want to do a 10gal batch in the conical or do 1 or 2 five gallon batches in carboys. Conical would be soooo much easier but I'm concerned about poor fermentation due to the shape of the fermenter.

thoughts?

This!

Surface area between wort and the yeast/trub affects taste...at least commericially and on a large scale. This is discussed in BLAM and how some belgian brewers had trouble updating their fermentors because the new shapes and sizes did not produce their signature taste.

I don't think it is that big of a deal for homebrewing but who knows

ive been thinking the same thing.. sabco is selling their fermenter in a keg form and say the same things you are as in surface area to yeast and wort.. but then you think about all the brewery tours youve been on and the BMC who all use conicals ( frew exceptions for some ) but its something id like to know cause im mostly lager maker and $369 for sabco fermenter or $639 for a brewhemoth means i could get double the fermenters and more beer !

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has tried the same recipe/process in a carboy and conical to see if there were any noticable differences.

I finally decided to do a lager in the conical. 7 days after pitching and all indications are that the fermentation is progressing normally. The sample I took yesterday tasted exactly as expected. So far I don't see any issue with using a conical for lagers on a home brew scale (I'm doing a 10gal batch in a 15 gal conical).

I do it all the time. Going to a cylindroconical was one of those things that gave a dramatic boost in quality to my beer. Contact between yeast and beer is not an issue as during the ferment the wort in the center of the tank is warmer than at the sides (especially if there is a glycol jacket in operation) and this establishes circulation which keeps them in suspension. The same should be true if there is no glycol jacket as might be the case with smaller fermenters.

ajdelange said:
I do it all the time. Going to a cylindroconical was one of those things that gave a dramatic boost in quality to my beer. Contact between yeast and beer is not an issue as during the ferment the wort in the center of the tank is warmer than at the sides (especially if there is a glycol jacket in operation) and this establishes circulation which keeps them in suspension. The same should be true if there is no glycol jacket as might be the case with smaller fermenters.

I must agree that I've had no issue. I too can't speak highly enough of going stainless. About 20 batches now In my conical and will never go back to carboys. My favorite aspect is the ability to primary and secondary in the same vessel.

Back