Lagering...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigrbuk

Reaction score
So my first real lager is in the lagering phase. I moved to secondary and slowly dropped the temp to my available minimum in the fridge (approx 4c).

My question is, when does the timer start? Does the temp drop phase count or is it just when it hits the colder temps to aid with clearing?

The second part of the question is how long do I HAVE to wait? It's been 2 weeks at min temp, 3 weeks since going into secondary. I'm not overly fussed about clarity, but I do want flavour to be good. I'm also low on brew and need the fridge back to get the next one going :)

I'll be bottling this beer, so it will have some bottle conditioning time too.

Thanks in advance

There really is no timer for lagering. I would let it lager for 2 weeks and then taste it. If you like the taste, it is done. If you think it is ok, let it sit for another week or two.

So my first real lager is in the lagering phase. I moved to secondary and slowly dropped the temp to my available minimum in the fridge (approx 4c).

My question is, when does the timer start? Does the temp drop phase count or is it just when it hits the colder temps to aid with clearing?

The second part of the question is how long do I HAVE to wait? It's been 2 weeks at min temp, 3 weeks since going into secondary. I'm not overly fussed about clarity, but I do want flavour to be good. I'm also low on brew and need the fridge back to get the next one going :)

Thanks in advance

I go 30 days minimum to start getting the right taste. 60-90 days is better

It's done when it's done. If you fine/filter, 3-4 weeks (after getting to temp) may be enough. If you wait for it to naturally drop clear, it could take longer). Also radically depends on the yeast strain you're using. I've used strains that take forever to drop clear but the flavor is crisp enough within a couple weeks (ie filtering/gelatin- doesn't need long), with other strains dropping clear within weeks but needing longer to reach the flavor I want.

Basically take small samples periodically, let the beer be your guide. Helpful if you can do that in a keg or conical where you can sample with minimal O2/contamination risk, much harder for something you're going to bottle.

It's done when it's done. If you fine/filter, 3-4 weeks (after getting to temp) may be enough. If you wait for it to naturally drop clear, it could take longer). Also radically depends on the yeast strain you're using. I've used strains that take forever to drop clear but the flavor is crisp enough within a couple weeks (ie filtering/gelatin- doesn't need long), with other strains dropping clear within weeks but needing longer to reach the flavor I want.

Basically take small samples periodically, let the beer be your guide. Helpful if you can do that in a keg or conical where you can sample with minimal O2/contamination risk, much harder for something you're going to bottle.
I've been filtering my ales lately with a 1 micron filter with good results. No yeast in my beer, which I hate. Are you saying I could be turning around lagers in 3 or 4 weeks filtering with the same quality flavors as a longer 6 week or longer condition? I thought lagers need more time for the flavors to come together and not just for clearing?

Last edited:
I've been filtering my lagers lately with a 1 micron filter with good results. No yeast in my beer, which I hate. Are you saying I could be turning around lagers in 3 or 4 weeks filtering with the same quality flavors as a longer 6 week or longer condition? I thought lagers need more time for the flavors to come together and not just for clearing?

The last lager I brewed was ready in 4 weeks grain to glass with no filtering and it was as clear as day. Fermented and carbed with 5 days and then lagered right after. I don't use a d-rest for my lagers. Use a ton of yeast that produce less diacetyl and won't you need to do one.

Depends on OG too. 4.8 beer could be ready in 3-4 weeks. Hi gravity beers will take longer

Definitely depends on yeast, gravity, and style, but you can definitely pull off a delicious lager in 4-6 weeks from grain to glass.
Generally, you should hit terminal gravity within 2 weeks (optimally 7-10 days), then drop your yeast/rack to secondary, allow another 4-5 days of warm maturation (4-5F above ferm temp), then crash out and leave cold (30F) for 2 weeks. Some strains need a longer warm maturation/Diacetyl rest than others, but all generally benefit from a slight stand before crashing.

If its just about the clarity why doesn't everyone just ferment for 10 days, diacetyl rest for a few days, crash for 3 or 4 days and filter and drink?

Aside from the diacetyl rest it would be the same as an ale and be grain to glass in 3 weeks.

Where does the lagering come into play if clarity can be achieved simply by filtering?

I would think from day one home brewers would just have filtered there lagers to save time if it made no difference

Thanks in advance

The "rule of thumb" is 1 week for each .010 of OG, however, you want to make temp changes slower with lagers, that includes ramping up to the D-Rest, holding for a couple days, then slowly ramping down for the crash.

It's more than clarity, but the crisping up of lagering typically doesn't take that long in my experience.

It's all dependent on many factors. A massive initial pitch, perfect temp control, and proper strain selection.

One lager strain I use I love the character, but it simply takes forever to attenuate- that one it's ~4 weeks fermentation, another week dropping down, and then 5-6 weeks lagering. Other strains I'm dropping to lagering temps by day 8 or 9, at lagering temps by like day 15 (from a 67 D-rest I drop 5 degrees a day to 33F), and then in another 2 weeks they're good to go.

Stronger will certainly take longer as well.

The timer doesn't start until the beer is really cold and it has to stay at that temperature for at least a year, maybe 2 even.:D

No, that is just humor. Lagering is cold storage to let the remaining suspended yeast settle as much as it will. Try a bottle at one week. Try another bottle at 2 weeks. Notice any change? If not, your lager was ready to drink at one week. If it changed, then it needs longer. There is no real set schedule.

All depends on what you made and what you expect from it. In my experience, the more complex the grain bill the longer the lager time, especially if you have some darker malts in there.

I just taste mine from time to time and decide from there.

There aren't many of us who lager and bottle, what I usually do is crash cool for a week or two, then bottle. After the bottles carb up, I then keep them in the fridge, lagering in the bottle. My main goal before bottling is to let the yeast and cold break clear, then bottle and condition in bottle.

Thanks chaps. This was the recipe using late extract method (small stove top boil)

1.1lbs muntons extra light DME
6lbs Pilsen LME (15min)
1oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh (60min)
1oz Hallertauer Hersbrucker (15min)
mangrove jack's m76 yeast

OG 1050
FG 1014

I've not found many reviews of the mangrove jack's yeast, so not sure what's for the best. Will sample some more tonight, for science reasons obviously!

I think I might just bottle this weekend, carb up then leave in garage as long as I can hold out while it's still cold here in the UK

Mmm tastes good to me already (even got a nod of approval from the other half), not crystal clear, but pretty good. I'm happy. On with bottling so I can whack another brew on :)

What to brew next?.....

I was going to say don't worry about any more lagering, go ahead and bottle it; you can lager it some more later in the bottle, but you've already bottled anyway so its a moot point.
If you are bottling lager, having an extra fridge or a cold basement helps a lot.
After they carb up, keep the bottles cold until you can't wait anymore and just have to drink it.

Not bottled just yet but will do it this weekend, when I'll have the time...

...and then stress whether it will carb up or not :)

Is there any detriment to lagering for say 5-6 months? I want to brew some lagers/pilsners in the fall and let them sit in my ferm chamber over the winter.

i find different styles benefit from different lengths of time, some simple pilsners, especially if flavor-hopped you want to be drinking sooner rather than later so I'll typically draw a little sample from the keg each day to see how it's progressing and clearing up. But more complex malt profiles and/or higher gravity just take longer and there's not much you can do about it. It is amazing how much they will clear up after even a couple weeks though...I have a hopped Pils on tap now that took 2-3 weeks to start to drop clear and by a month it was crystal clear and a perfect summer sipper.

It definitely takes more patience than most ales or hefes but the reward is worth it when you brew one your local craft brewery would be proud to serve.

Is there any detriment to lagering for say 5-6 months? I want to brew some lagers/pilsners in the fall and let them sit in my ferm chamber over the winter.

I hope not lol. I have an Oktoberfest that's been lagering since April 2nd and plan to drink at an Oktoberfest party Sept 21st.

I hope not lol. I have an Oktoberfest that's been lagering since April 2nd and plan to drink at an Oktoberfest party Sept 21st.

Slow carb and keep at 38/40°F.
My Märzen has been lagering since early April as well.
I did sample both kegs to make sure all was well. A few more months will make it even better.
I just kegged a Vienna Lager and will again slowly carb after cold crash and lager for a couple of months.

Slow carb and keep at 38/40°F.
My Märzen has been lagering since early April as well.
I did sample both kegs to make sure all was well. A few more months will make it even better.
I just kegged a Vienna Lager and will again slowly carb after cold crash and lager for a couple of months.

Yup my marzen is set at 38 . Sometimes it will get up to 40 . 10psi and I've sampled it and it's good , doesnt taste like anything negative is going on.

Back