Lagering without a garage or basement.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drevilz4l

Reaction score
I currently live in a trailer and do not have a garage or a basment. I have a small shed that I could put the beer in during the winter, I was wondering if this would get too cold. I live in New York so we can get some really cold temps by January/February. I don't have the room for a refrigerator to lager in.

My 2 thoughts were to either leave it in the shed with some heat wrap, or a heating band from the homebrew shop, or possible float the carboy in some water (or other liquid) with aquarium heater or some sort. ( as mentioned in another thread). Has anyone tried these methods, and if so how effective are they. Thanks again.

It gets really cold in my garage in the winter, and I have an old fridge out there that I actually HEAT using an infrared bulb and a temperature controller. The bulb cuts in just enough to avoid freezing (or warmer, if I want to ferment). Since the fridge is insulated well, the temperatures stay very stable.

A cheap temperature controller should cost about $40, and a used fridge (working or not) can usually be found on Craigslist for free, if you watch carefully.

Not a bad Idea, I'd have to find a way to keep the fridge outside so it wouldn't get wet in the winter, but I'm sure I could figure something out.

Back