Lagering Under Pressure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamsdealer

Reaction score
Is there any harm in lagering a beer under pressure? I've had a beer lagering in secondary... well, the serving keg for three weeks now. I'd like to have it ready to serve in 3 more weeks. Is there any harm to hooking it up to the gas now? Will the yeast perform their cleanup duties as well as if they were bulk conditioning in a non pressurized vessel?

Thanks. That's the answer I was looking for.

To that end, im also guessing that lagering a bottle primed and carbonated beer would work for those without a kegging setup or fridge that wouldn't accomodate a carboy. Comparing tthat to common ale practices, I guess the difference would be bulk aging in a secondary vs aging or conditioning individual bottles.

My Dad isnt into the craft beer scene, but he does like and lagers and had an extra fridge in his basement. It would be nice to split up a batch of lager without taking up space in my keezer or re-arranging the shelves in my spare fridge to accomodate a keg or carboy. Just give him a case of bottle carbonated lager, tell him to toss it in the fridge and enjoy in a month or two.

Back