Lagering temperature question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramitche

Reaction score
Making a Warsteiner clone from Clone Brews and have a question about the lagering schedule which states:

When the final gravity has been reached (1.012-1.013) this beer can be lagered for 1 month. Begin lagering at 45F (7C) and slowly decrease the temperature to 34F (1C) over a 2-week period. Bring the beer to 60F (15C) for 3 days before bottling to ensure that fermentation is complete. Allow the beer to carbonate at room temperature for 2 weeks.

Question: Would you recommend bringing the temp to 60F (15C) as quickly as possible, or stepping up to 60F over a period of a few days?

Thanks!

I believe what's being referred to here is similar to the diacetyl rest many lagers require. I personally go straight from 33 to bottle, then let it condition at room temperature.
If you plan to d rest, I'd take it out of the temp (or turn off your ferm fridge if that's an option) and let it naturally rise to temp. Alternately, if you're careful when you take it down - going one to two degrees Max per day til you hit 33/34, then let it sit for at least thirty days, the yeast will continue to work at that temp. Make sure to fill your airlock with cheap vodka, just in case you drop to freezing temps.

You can bring it up to 60 degrees right away. Yeast aren't shocked when warming to room temp like they are if the temperature is dropped suddenly.

Back