Lagering Refrigerator broke

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dara

Reaction score
Hi,

While lagering a Munich Helles (about 2 weeks in), I noticed the temperature with the Johnson Controller had risen from 45 to 66! Further investigations showed that the controller was ok, but the mini refrigerator had bombed on me.

I suspect it was like this for about 2 days, and I have made room in my regular refrigerator (at about 38-40) for the beer now. I put way too much work into this first lager brew to give up on it.

I was wondering if people think this beer will be spoiled by 1-2 days at 66. I am guessing it creeped up to 66 over 2 days - that would be more accurate than saying it was at 66 for 2 days (room temperature was about 70). What would be the potential damage to the beer by this high temperature, if any. Since I would be bottle conditioning at room temperature in 2-3 weeks, I am hoping this unfortunate episode will have no real affect on the beer.

I'll have to throw out the refrigerator I know.

Thanks,

Dara

A second diacetyl rest....that is certainly a glass half full attitude! Seriously though,I think it'll be fine since I would be bottle conditioning at room temp,and I am close to that time already. Was just wondering if anyone thought otherwise

Back