Lagering, bottling, clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enricocoron

Reaction score
I searched and read a few threads but didn't really find exactly what i was after. I'm currently in primary fermentation of a pilsener that I would like to submit to the NHB comp in san diego, deadline for entries is march 28th. I figure that primary should be done by the 15th or so, then two days diacetyl...but then I'm not sure if I should lager in a secondary for a month, which would mean bottle march 17th, my concern is that if I turn them in 11 days later after bottle conditioning around 50 degrees they won't fully be ready, and then the contest organizers may just throw them in the fridge or at 70 degrees and create off flavors....should I lager only 3 weeks and bottle condition at 52 degrees or what not or a week extra? Or should I force carb the beer in a keg and bottle it. I've never done this bottling from a keg,but heard it works fine. I'd always just believed a bottle conditioned beer would taste slightly better than a bottle from a keg? Am I wrong? I'm planning on bottle conditioning my IPA for the comp as well and I always just keg that normally.

Back