Lagering at room temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nnewcomb

Reaction score
I was talking to a fellow Homebrewer that said there are some lager yeasts that will ferment nicely at room temp. Has anyone had a good experience making a lager and fermenting it at room temp? What yeast did you use?

34/70 all the way. I use it quite a bit for steam lagers and set my ferm fridge to 62* and the beer is usually 67-68 at the height of fermentation. At homebrew scale, remember your beer is going to be 3-6 degrees warmer than ambient temp unless you rig up a fancy thermowell and controller. IMO, 34/70 is less estery at this range than the SF Lager yeasts from WYeast & WLP, and I prefer a low ester steam beer.

http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/08/fe...ager-yeast-saflager-3470-exbeeriment-results/

I was going to say steam lagers but I thought they typically use ale yeast. This 34/70 stuff seems pretty cool...and honestly brulosphoy is pretty spot on so id give it a try.

Back