''Lagering'' and ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLITE

Reaction score
Hi all

Imagine brewing an ale as normal and once fermentation is finished rack onto another vessel and into lagering temperatures it goes, for x period of time (id say a month).

Is there a point in doing this?

Depends how strict you want to be on your definition of lagering, but what you propose is also known as cold conditioning.

Depending on the beer, it can be benefitial. I imagine kolches and blondes would smooth out and drop crystal clear, but pale ales etc. would lose some hop flavor /aroma.

Kölsch is a top fermented lager beer. It'll help drop out proteins and yeast, thus making the beer more clear, crisp and clean.

So if that is what you want then give it a go :)

The best part about cold conditioning ales is you don't need to get them as cold or condition them as long as lagers to notice a difference in the color and flavors.
Although just like Jwalk4 mentioned, hop profiles change pretty quick. I'm still trying to find that balance in an alt I make. I keep it around 45-50 for about a month, but in that short time I losing that subtle hop spice that I want in the final product. I guess I'll just have to enjoy this batch and try again. Woe is me ;)

In essence if your beer is in a kegerator/keg fridge for a few weeks or few months it is being lagered.

Nice just what i was thinking.

I suppose how hoppy you make/like your beers does play a role.

is it just hop taste that can reduce or do phenols and esters ''degrade'' as well?

I made a pretty large og lager and after 3 weeks in fridge its clearer than water... Like gold encased in glass, beautiful!

The best part about cold conditioning ales is you don't need to get them as cold or condition them as long as lagers to notice a difference in the color and flavors.
Although just like Jwalk4 mentioned, hop profiles change pretty quick. I'm still trying to find that balance in an alt I make. I keep it around 45-50 for about a month, but in that short time I losing that subtle hop spice that I want in the final product. I guess I'll just have to enjoy this batch and try again. Woe is me ;)

Hi T.G. If you don't already do it, try dryhopping your Alts after the cold conditioning period. I think it helps add back some of that hoppy freshness that you want in a good Alt. :mug:

Hi T.G. If you don't already do it, try dryhopping your Alts after the cold conditioning period. I think it helps add back some of that hoppy freshness that you want in a good Alt. :mug:

That sounds like a great idea. I've been cold crashing for two or three days after I dry hop my ales just to drop out the hop floaters. Do you think I could still do that? Or would I need to use an other method for this alt to get the hop floaties out.

I was planning to bulk cold condition for about 3-4 week at mid 40s to low 50s. Then dry hop for about 5 days a ambient basement temps (probably 55-60 ish). Then cold crash it right before bottling.

That sounds like a great idea. I've been cold crashing for two or three days after I dry hop my ales just to drop out the hop floaters. Do you think I could still do that? Or would I need to use an other method for this alt to get the hop floaties out.

I was planning to bulk cold condition for about 3-4 week at mid 40s to low 50s. Then dry hop for about 5 days a ambient basement temps (probably 55-60 ish). Then cold crash it right before bottling.

Yes, that's exactly what I do. :mug:

Latest posts

Back