Lagering an Alt- in secondary or bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigTexBrewer

Reaction score
I am getting ready to brew a German Alt and in order to get the beer to stay very clean I plan on lagering it for 4 weeks. After the primary I will transfer to a secondary and let it finish fermenting but after I reach my final gravity do I need to transfer it to a different carboy and lager then or should I bottle after the secondary and lager in bottles. Now if I lager in the secondary or move it to another secondary (thirdary?:drunk:) to lager will there be enough active yeast to bottle with or will I have to add more yeast when bottling. If I add more yeast when I bottle will that add any yeasty off flavors, I am wanting to keep this beer very clean so I don't want to risk any off flavors.

IMO you should allow it to completely finish in primary, once at FG you can transfer to a carboy and begin lagering. Just be sure there is very little head space in the secondary vessel. You should not have to add yeast at bottling if you are only going 4 weeks.

If you want you could also bottle and then lager in the bottles. Just keep in mind it will take a little longer the the bottles to carbonate once done lagering, or you could allow to carbonate and then cold condition for a month or two.

Latest posts

Back