Lagering Altbier questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goforevercrazywithit

Reaction score
My first lager ever and it's proving to be a bit of a hassle compared to ales with the temperature drops and what not...ANYWAY

It fermented at 66F for one week then put it in the fridge for two weeks and 31F. I later found out that I should have gradually lowered the temperature. So I'm sitting here with no idea what to do now.

Is it alright to bottle or do I need to lager it longer?

Is 31F too low of a temperature (there is nothing I can do to change it, the temperature gague on the fride I'm able to use is broken)?

Whenever I do bottle them do I have to age them in the fridge or at room temperatures?

I'm doing an altbier right now too...

First off - an altbier is an ale. Most people "lager" them - meaning they store them at cold temperatures, in keeping with the traditional process. But it uses an ale yeast, and ferments at ale temps (though often on the low end).

I've read you are supposed to lower the temps slowly, but I never do. I think the theory is to avoid shocking the yeast - if you lower the temps slowly the yeast will continue to clean up, rather than just fall out of the solution. But you'll probably be fine.

31 is fine for lagering - though I think altbier is traditionally lagered at higher temps. Usually the colder you lager, the longer you lager.

When you bottle them, you bring it back to ~70 so the yeast can properly work and carb the bottles.

Good luck!

Back