Lagering a cream ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Termonfeckin

Reaction score
Hey guys, first post, but been on here a long time. I just had my first all grain brew day today, successful thus far!
First brew was a cream ale, which I am planning on fermenting high 60's, and then moving to lagering temp for a week or two. Question is, should I rack to a secondary for the lagering, or just move my current carboy over to the fridge I'm using? Or does it not make much difference?

Appreciate all the help :mug:

If you will doing an extended lagering then rack to a secondary. Just a couple of weeks then I would leave in the primary.

Yea that's kinda what I'm thinking, it's not gonna be the two months you would with a lager, just a couple weeks to clean it up a little.

Ive good success keeping my cream ale in the primary and cold crashing for 7-10 days near freezing. Adding some gelatin after the beer is cold will help expedite the process.

I've always had good results with my cream ales by racking off primary and leaving it in secondary for 7 to 10 days at about 55 to 60 degrees using a swamp cooler and a couple ice packs. After bottling and letting it condition for a week or two at room temperature, I move the batch to the fridge and let it condition for another week or so. I guess you could call it pseudo-lagering. :mug:

Back