Lager Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesweetlycool

Reaction score
I just have a quick question about how a lager yeast fermenting at warmer temps will effect. We're fermenting a Doppelbock right now and the yeast calls for 48-50 degree temps but there's no way we can keep it that consistant so the 5 gal bucket is just sitting in the basement at about 65 degrees.

How will this effect the final over all taste? We do plan to lager it in the bottles for a month or so... and I know a steam beer is lager yeast at warm temps... I just don't know what the flavor changes are.

What yeast strain did you use? You could possibly get a boat load of off flavors. But I don't know if it will be the same fruitiness / banana types ale yeasts give.

Have you ever considered keeping the carboy in a rubber maid container with ice water? Possibly just water / frozen water bottles you can rotate?

In short, the lager yeast will produce a lot of flavor-active compounds when fermented warm. The concept is similar to ale yeasts, just shift the temp range down ~20°F. Some of the compounds will eventually be metabolized by the yeast, some won't. But at those temps, the taste difference from a lager fermented in the right temp will be significant. Your beer might have fruitiness (esters), sulfur, fusel alcohols, diacetyl, etc.

IMO, if you can't have good temperature control in the appropriate ranges, it's best to stick to ales. But that's just me.

Used White Labs 833.. which is a German Bock Yeast! Hopefully it will turn out..... it's been fermenting at about 65 since 4/2

Back