Lager recipie with Ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was just reading about this, in brew your own(jan-feb 2006)it says that a 'dirty' lager (one that uses a lager yeast at warmer temps) will taste more like a lager than a super clean ale, or even a sf-lager yeast at lower temps.

just use the lager.

Brew chick said:
This is what the Belgian's do! lager or pale malt, lager hops and a top fermenting yeast. it'll look like lager and have a slight fruitiness from the yeast,go for it!!:D

Maybe if he used WL California Ale yeast, there wouldn't be any fruitiness? It is supposed to be a very clean fermenting yeast.

I didn't know there was such a thing as "lager malt." What's the difference between it and just plain old 2 row or DME?

Thanks... :)

Lounge Lizard said:
Maybe if he used WL California Ale yeast, there wouldn't be any fruitiness? It is supposed to be a very clean fermenting yeast.

I didn't know there was such a thing as "lager malt." What's the difference between it and just plain old 2 row or DME?

There are diferences in 2 row malts as to color etc. Some are lager malts and some are pilsner malts and some are English 2 row and some are american 2 row. most of these have diferent color profiles among other things.

Lounge Lizard said:

As you may already know pale malt is a fully modified malt that's kilned at low temp for long period till moisture is about 3 per cent,with good diastatic activity,colour is usualy 5 EBC.
Lager malt (kilned same as above)was traditionally poorly modified,hence step't infusion/decoction mash(modern lager malts are fully modified and only need single temp infusion and hence have good enzymic activity)colour is 3EBC.
Both are normaly found in 2 row,i dont know about 6 row ive never used it.

Back