Lager recipe with ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveHeff

Reaction score
Alright my yeast loving friends. I'm in need of some help here. I'm the guy who wants to brew a lager but I do not own a second fridge in which to lager. Poor me. However, I have heard of people brewing lager style recipes using ale yeasts.

My question is this: which ale yeasts are clean/crisp finishing while fermenting in the low to mid 60's? I've watched the Brewing TV episode Lagerworkarounds (good episode) however I was miffed at the lack of identifiable yeasts that work better than others while using this method.

Suggestions? Opinions? Good yeast strains? Thanks in advance.

I've heard good things from the California Common strain working at higher-ish temps. I did a bit more research on the WLP810 and I have a great spot in the house that is a constant 55-60 degrees F this time of year. I wonder, though, would I still have to do a diacetyl rest after my first week of primary or would I just move to secondary and allow it to mellow on its own?

wyeast 1028 and nottingham come to mind. 1028 works great even in the upper 50s. not sure about nottingham in that range.

i personally only like the kolsch and alt yeasts when followed by lagering. otherwise i think those are harsh yeasts. just my 2c. you could easily lager in the bottles if you have the fridge space.

The problem is fridge space. I have the space for another one but not the budget nor the means to get it to my place.

I've heard good things from the California Common strain working at higher-ish temps. I did a bit more research on the WLP810 and I have a great spot in the house that is a constant 55-60 degrees F this time of year. I wonder, though, would I still have to do a diacetyl rest after my first week of primary or would I just move to secondary and allow it to mellow on its own?

I didn't do a diacetyl rest the first time and our Pilsner turned out great. Since I have done so after primary fermentation slowed (brought up to low 60's for a couple days) but can't say it's really needed. May depend on grains used and/or style. Oh and remember Lagers require larger amounts of yeast than Ale's, we step-up starters.

Robert

I like 1007 for pseudo lagers

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

Something to ponder from BYO:

http://byo.com/stories/item/1564-vienna-lager-in-exile

"A little-known fact about lager yeasts is that they can be used at ale temperatures. Your beer will be more estery than a standard lager, but will still taste like lager beer. Many times homebrewers who wish to replicate a lager beer at ale temperatures are told to use a clean ale strain (or a “steam” beer strain) of yeast. However, a clean ale does not really taste like a lager. A “dirty” lager, however, will still taste lager-like — it will just have more yeast-derived aroma."

I decided on brewing with S-04. I'll get the wort temp down to 55-57 degrees F and I'll pitch at that point. I'll allow the beer to ferment in my basement, where the ambient temp is around 62-66, depending on the time of day. I'll report back in another 2 weeks when I transfer it to bottles.

The yeast and the wort are making their magic happen at 59-61 degrees F in my wash room. I have slightly slower activity in my airlock than I normally do with S04. But I expected as much. I'll grab a gravity reading in another week when I see little or no activity.

I've been thinking about this too. Something I'm interested in trying is WLP 009 (Australian Ale- Cooper's strain). I've read that this will give a very clean beer. Interesting thought above about warm lager fermentation temps, may give that a try...

I did look at some lager yeasts before deciding on the ale yeast. I've never fermented this low of temp before. I'm very comfortable with my ale fermentation, and now that I know my wash room maintains 60 degrees F, I may brew again next weekend and use the California common strain, or perhaps Kolsch yeast.

Generally that problem / questions are quite often. In such cases I'd always recommend to take some solid dose of good 'ol BTV:
Brewing TV - Episode 53: Lager Workarounds: [ame]http://youtu.be/zluCEyQtQ0A[/ame]

Generally that problem / questions are quite often. In such cases I'd always recommend to take some solid dose of good 'ol BTV:
Brewing TV - Episode 53: Lager Workarounds: http://youtu.be/zluCEyQtQ0A

Check out the OP. This episode was the reason why I decided to confidently go at this with the intent of success. BTV is one of my go-to vlogs. I also enjoy chop and brew, too.

Update on the beer. I allowed the yeasties to for 9 days. Last 3 days, my gravity was stable at 1.014. My SG was around 1.052. This puts it 5% with a 75-80% efficiency.

2 days ago, I placed my primary in to by basement fridge. I'll allow it to "lager" for a week or so. I'm mostly attempting to settle out any solid material prior to bottling. I should have it all bottled within the next 2 weeks. I did take a "sample" upon using my hydrometer for my FG. I thought it was very good, albeit it still tastes like an ale. Steam beers are up next!

Haha indeed! Blind me. Kinda fully reproductive post on my part :p
I'll be runing my Kolsh yeasties on some 'Bock'y' wort, soon :) See what's going to be :)

I'm bottling the beer tonight. I figure it's had time to settle as well as get happy. I've got my priming sugar ready to go. I'm looking forward to my tasting notes.

Steve, I've fermented dozens of batches with W-34/70 dry lager yeast from 48F all the way up to 68F. It barely produced any esters at 68F and has been very lager-ey all the way up to 58F.

I pitch 1 pack on anything above 57F. Give it a try.

Back