Lager, my first one

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bairsbrewing

Reaction score
Ok, I have been brewing for years and have never done a lager. I finally did one and have a few questions. What does it mean to give it a diacetyl rest? What does it mean to lager the beer? I was going to keg it but read some threads about "lagering" and the diacetyl rest. I just checked the gravity after two weeks fermentation and it was at 1.014/1.016. It's pretty clear but there is a lot of large chunks of I assume to be yeast floating. I tasted it and it tasted good with no real off flavors. I did get a slight oily after taste, from what in read this is the diacetyl. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Bigger, stronger, darker!

This is how I make lager beer, nice thing is that I can turn it around in 3-4 weeks and get a great quality beer.

A diacetyl rest involves raising the temp of the fermenting beer to 60˚F+ after 4+ days of active fermentation, which essentially makes it easier for the yeast to process any diacetyl that was created during the cooler fermentation period.

To lager a beer simply means to store/age it cool. Traditionally, this was about 40˚F because that's what the temp of caves were. Since we now have the ability to more precisely manipulate and control temperatures, many people lager for less time at colder temps. I just kegged 10 gallons of Schwarzbier that had been lagering in primary at 30˚F for 4 days, they're now sitting on gas at 38˚F in the keezer and will be tapped by next weekend.

Cheers!

Back