Lager fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I have my lager all put together now, pitched it warm 70F with an active starter, put the airlock in. Where should I put it now? Should it stay warm until activity starts? Or should I put it into the cold (45-55F) room right away?

I was reading some notes that I found in my original box from 15 years ago and they were for a lager that I did. I had put it into the cold 40F or so and it didn't do anything, but then I transferred to where I'm putting this batch and it took off. It didn't have any notes on how it came out. I didn't see any note on how long I waited until I put it into the cold. I don't even remember doing a lager.

This question can cause quite a debate - but if you are unsure, wait for the activity to start and then cool down. Many people here would advise you to cool the wort before you even pitch (usually using a chiller with really cold tap water or a pre-chiller ice bath.) I, for the sake of time, will cool to whatever my tap water can get the batch to in about 20 minutes time, and then I pitch and put the carboy in my lagering fridge.

Since you are starting with an active starter, I say definitely get it chilled down. I'm one of those that chill and pitch cold. It takes a day or two for it to get going, but I've never had any infection problems.... and I haven't made a starter yet. Your previous problem with the lager might have to do with getting the wort too cold. Check for the ideal temp range for the yeast you're using. 40F sounds a bit low. high 40's to low 50's is normal. Then after primary is done and the diacetyl rest has been done (if it's even needed), cool it to 10 to 15 degrees below your ferment temp to lager.

Back