Lager Fermentation Expectations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mainer28

Reaction score
I am fermenting my first lager with the below stats:

Oktoberfest
OG: 1.060
Double Decoction Mash with 154 conversion temp
WLP830 w/ 1/2 gallon working starter
Fermentation temp: 50-54
No crystal just Pilsner, Munich Dark & Vienna

After 7 days, my FG is at 1.028, with my goal being 1.014-1.016.

Is this beer on pace to hit my FG? Or should anything be done to help the yeast along, rouse yeast, increase temp. The previous sample had no diacetyl, so a rest will not be used.

Thoughts?

Looks like you are doing fine. It usually takes my lagers 10 days to get to 70% of FG. I don't bother sampling and do a three day rest at 10 degrees warmer on all my lagers. But, like I said, your doing fine.

If you're experienced enough with diacetyl to skip the rest, that's fine but it won't hurt to do one if you're unsure. Keep in mind that in small quantities, diacetyl only presents as a slick or oily mouthfeel or an oiliness on the tongue. It's only in huge quantities that it actually tastes buttery or like butterscotch. If you don't do one, and there actually is some diacetyl present, it'll get much worse with lagering and then it's too late to do a diacetyl rest. If you're not really experienced with lagers, I'd reconsider doing one because it definitely won't hurt. A 1/2 gallon starter is pretty small, and I'd consider doing a diacetyl rest as a matter of course for a small-ish starter, particularly if fermentation was slow to begin or began at higher than 50 degrees.

If you're at 1.028 after 7 days, that's a bit slow but not unheard of. I usually am ready for a diacetyl rest by day 7-10. I often do the diacetyl rest at 1.018-1.020.

I second doing the rest. What do you have to lose other than 2-3 extra days on top of an alreay extended period of time before you get to drink the beer anyway? would you prefer to have spend 8-or-so weeks on a beer that turns out to be full of diacetyl?

Thanks all, perhaps I will rethink the rest to be on the safe. I just check the fermenter and there is still a good amount of activity in there.

Update: Let the fermentation go 2 more days into FG hit 1.022 then did a diacetyl rest at 65ish. I couldn't believe how much the fermentation picked up and it finished at 1.014.

Pretty happy guy right now. First double decoction lager and thus far, on pace to be really nice.

Thanks all.

Update: Let the fermentation go 2 more days into FG hit 1.022 then did a diacetyl rest at 65ish. I couldn't believe how much the fermentation picked up and it finished at 1.014.

Pretty happy guy right now. First double decoction lager and thus far, on pace to be really nice.

Thanks all.

Ok, but give us the important part! How'd the sample taste?!? :D

It was very good. I am happy I went with the Munich Dark 20L opposed to the lighter version. More than anything, and being my first lager, I am impressed with the overall smoothness of the sample. I imagine it will become better after a 4-6 week lager. How long to you recommend lagering for? The temp will be 35-38.

Thanks again,

Thanks all.

Awesome! Decoctions are cool and getting your first lager down to FG is always a relief. Doing the d-rest was smart; costs you nothing and prevents what can be a very sneaky, batch-spoiling PITA.

It was very good. I am happy I went with the Munich Dark 20L opposed to the lighter version. More than anything, and being my first lager, I am impressed with the overall smoothness of the sample. I imagine it will become better after a 4-6 week lager. How long to you recommend lagering for? The temp will be 35-38.

Thanks again,

Lager it as long as you can stand to wait. If you can hold out for six weeks, great!

Back