Lager Fermantation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

checo78

Reaction score
Just brewed my first lager and I have a few questions.

Target
OG 1.046
FG 1.011

Real
OG1.043
FG 1.008

I left the beer fermenting with wyeast 2308 munich lager for 2 weeks @50f. So I took a sample and my fg is down to 1.008. I kind of messed up thinking I should leave it for 2 weeks, not knowing that I should do the d-rest before hitting the 1.011.

1- Missing my target 1.011 to 1.008 make a noticeably difference in taste? I get it will have more alcohol, but what about taste?
2- Im currently doing a 3 day d-rest @62f and will then lower temp 5f/day until 40F. How long do you recommend this for? I read somewhere to lager no more than 10f from fermentation temp. So that leaves me at 40F. Can I go lower and will that shorten or longer my lagering time?
3- What will happen if I decide to lager for less than 4 weeks? taste wise?

Thank you for your help!

1 - You won't have more alcohol b/c your original gravity was equally lower. Perhaps if you did a side by side you would notice a 3 point difference in gravity but it won't be significant.

2 - Take a sample and check for diacetyl...let it warm to room temp so you can really smell and taste for it. When it is cleared then its time to begin dropping temp. I brew a little different than traditional so my lagers finish around 68-70 degrees. I then drop the temp down 3 degrees every 12 hours until it hits 30-32 degrees, doesn't hurt a thing b/c the yeast have done their thing, its time for them to drop out of solution.

3 - It won't be as smooth and rounded; but, it will still be plenty drinkable.

I've never heard the "lager at 10F less than fermentation temperature" thing before. That's unusual, as you get a crisper smoother finish from lagering at just above freezing temperatures. I lager at 34 degrees one week for each 8-10 points of OG (per Fix). So, for a 1.045ish lager, that would be 4-5 weeks at 34 degrees.

What was the style?

Lagering: the colder the better, provided you don't freeze it (unless you are making an Eis-beer) ;)

Lagering: the longer the better, provided you have the patience to wait. I'm also not aware of the extent to which commercial breweries get into storing beer for weeks or months on end. Most of my lagers are lagered for months, or even years, because I make a lot of beer, store it all cold, and drink it (or enter it in comps!) slowly over time.

Most commercial breweries use an accelerated process. They start fermentation out at lager temps and then ramp it up, taking advantage of the fact that most all esters are produced in the first 3-4 days. After that phase is complete they bump it to the 60's to push it to be done quickly and then crash it. You can turn a quality lager pretty quickly. Of course, it doesn't hurt to brew 10 gallons at a time so by the time the first keg blows you have another one that has more lagering time on it ready.

Back