Lager dry hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RukusDM

Reaction score
Last weekend I brewed a Harp Clone recipe. This is my first Real lager as I just purchased a Ranco temperature controller and put it on my Freezer.

I've been fermenting at 50 Degrees. And I plan on Lagering at around 32 or 33 degrees for several weeks.

My question is I think I would like to dry hop to increase aroma, however I haven't read anything about Dry Hopping a Lager.

Seems a waste of Lagering time if I add more particulates while I'm trying to remove them. I wanted to put some Hallertauer and Saaz in a bag and dry hop it to make a more hop nose.

Is this ever done with lagers or should I just skip it?

I've dry hopped some of my lagers. I typically ferment until almost completion at about 50F, do a diacetyl rest at about 60F, then dry hop in the primary at this temp. I then rack and lager at 31F.

Leaf or pellet?

If you're talking to me, pellet. I dump them in the primary. I'm always careful when racking to secondary to lager afterwards.

Edit: sorry about the double post. Sometimes the site is slow and doesn't indicate the post has been added.

Sorry... was asking the OP :). Leaf in a hop bag seems much better suited to this in my opinion.

I never use a hop bag. I crash cool and use gelatin when kegging. Beer is always crystal clear. Even when dry hopping.

Leaf or pellet?

well I have both of those hops in pellet form. I do also have about a pound each of cascade, mt hood, and nugget whole leaf.

I was thinking of using the pellet form though as those were the two that were in the boil.

Back