Lager Conditioning Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bills Brew

Reaction score
OK, I've got my first lager bottled. What temperature do you codition it at? I was going to set it at room temp (high 60s) for a week or so to get the carbonation going, but then thought why not put it back at the temperature it was in the fermenters (low 50s high 40s) for 4-6 weeks. That's the coldest I can get in my basement.

Thought? Recommendations?

Thanks

bill

Beer: "Tastes great. Makes women appear more attractive, and makes a person virtually invulnerable to criticism" (Homer Simpson)

Your thinking is correct. Let it sit for two weeks at room temperature so that the carbonation develops. Depending on the style, you may have to go an additional week. I'd sample one a week until the carbonation reaches the point you like, then cold condition it.

If you've not let the beer sit for a few months at freezing temperatures prior to bottling, then you really haven't lagered it yet- that's one of the most important steps.

Keeping it at 50ish degrees is really just extending the fermentation phase.Try it out, it's worth it.

Mikey said:
If you've not let the beer sit for a few months at freezing temperatures prior to bottling, then you really haven't lagered it yet- that's one of the most important steps.
This is the only way I have done my lagers so far, but is there not also a way to bottle-lager and condition at the same time? Kaiser, you should know...

Lagering and cold conditioning are sort of the same thing. Typically, you just put your whole carboy in the fridge for a few months. After that, you bottle and let carbonate at room temperature.

I have always read that to lager it you should have the 2ndary at 10-12 degrees cooler than the primary ferm temp of 55*f for lagering(which is german for "store" not damn near freeze)....correct me if I am wrong (I suck at math) but isn't that in the 40s and not @32? Just currious cause I know beer freezes at about 28*f depending on ABV. seems a bit too much cold to me.

robmee-- most people would agree colder and longer is better. If you can lager at 33 or 34 deg that's about as good as you can get. The longer you keep it there the better. Doppelbocks lager for as long as 6 months!

robmee said:
I have always read that to lager it you should have the 2ndary at 10-12 degrees cooler than the primary ferm temp of 55*f

I've seen that number before, perhaps it's somebody's made up 'minimum' differential, but have no idea about the origin.

I always lager as cold as possible (just like the commercial breweries) and as long as I can, never less than 2 months.

The only beer that froze on me was an eisbock, but that was on purpose and is part of the brewing process. :mug:

Had some of these same questions as I just bottled my first lager yesterday too.

Had it in secondary for 1 week at 55 degrees then moved the five gal carboy to the fridge for the last 4 weeks at 35 degrees. (only fridge, needed the space again).

I intend to carbonate for 2-3 weeks at room temp, but then I've read different opinions of what to do next. To split the differences, 1/3 of the batch will stay at room temp, 1/3 will go to 55 degrees and 1/3 third will go back in the fridge (on those funny, metal, wire things...I think they're called shelves).

I'll let you know if it seems to make a big difference on the storage method.

I doubt you'll see much difference from one batch to the next, you've already lagered it for 5 weeks total. Not much room for improvement left.

Bills Brew said:
but then thought why not put it back at the temperature it was in the fermenters (low 50s high 40s) for 4-6 weeks. That's the coldest I can get in my basement.

I guess that this would work. But you have to keep in mind, the higher the "lagering" temp is, the more active the yeast will be and autolysis will start earlier. But that shouldn't really be a problem with 4 or 6 weeks.

But yes, if you can find means of getting it closer to freezing, it would definately benefit your beer. But I don't want to keep you from trying a lager just because you cannot get the traditional lagering temps. Maybe you get hooked and want to "invest" into a lagering fridge.

It wasn't until recently, that I'm able to lager my lagers near freezing. But the ones that I did before that didn't turn out pretty nice too.

Kai

OK, I am a bit confused. I am in the middle of my first lager. Set the primary at 68 degrees for three day then transfered to my basement for an additional 4+ days (53 degrees). Transfered to a secondary for an additional 3 weeks in the basement. Just bottled this weekend and placed back into the basement and was going to let it set there till Easter (5 weeks). Should I bring the bottles upstairs to the higher temp for a couple of weeks to help carbination then place in the back of the frig to season? Any tips here?:confused:

rcbrew said:
OK, I am a bit confused. I am in the middle of my first lager. Set the primary at 68 degrees for three day then transfered to my basement for an additional 4+ days (53 degrees). Transfered to a secondary for an additional 3 weeks in the basement. Just bottled this weekend and placed back into the basement and was going to let it set there till Easter (5 weeks). Should I bring the bottles upstairs to the higher temp for a couple of weeks to help carbination then place in the back of the frig to season? Any tips here?:confused:

I'd say, 3 days at 68F is a little long. Did it take so long for fermentation to start?

When you pitch warm, I also recommend doing a diacetyl rest for 24-48 hrs at ~65F once fermentation has slowed down significantly in the primary. Since there is not much else left to consume, the yeast will consume the diacetyl produced during the initial fermentation stages. It has also the nice effect of finishing all the fermentable sugars.

Though I recommended, in anothet thread, that carbonation should take place at <60F, I learned that there are not much fermentation by products produced when the yeast doesn't have much to consume. Hence it should be fine to carbonate the bottles at room temperature.

Kai

Thanks for the help...
Had to leave town for a day unexpectedly and the primary got left upstairs a day longer than what I really wanted.
So, your saying you agree to bring the bottles up to a warmer location for a couple of weeks to help carbination, right? One step at a time for me on this one.....trying not to get too far ahead of myself and overthink this.

rcbrew said:
So, your saying you agree to bring the bottles up to a warmer location for a couple of weeks to help carbination, right? One step at a time for me on this one.....trying not to get too far ahead of myself and overthink this.

From what I heard this should be fine.

The ester production (which you are worried about at higher temps) is the strongest during the initial growth and high kraeusen phase as there is a lot of yeast growth happening. In order to battle this the temp should be kept around 50 during this time (with the exception of pitching yeast warm in case of a low pitching rate in order to avoid sluggish fermentation). There is not much growth happening when you are carbing the bottles which means that higher temps should not produce esters.

Kai

Back