Lager Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giftedeye2

Reaction score
I am about to brew an all grain octoberfest batch. I have never followed a true lager method. Is there a good system to follow? More specially when I get to bottling what temperature do I want my beer to be at when adding the priming sugar solution?

I also only bottle and brew lagers a portion of the time. Note that this is just what I do, it might not be 'correct' or even 'good'. Simply my routine that has yielded, in my opinion, positive results. I follow a normal coldish (low 50sF) fermentation , and slowly ramp it up to at least 67ish. If its the colder months in my basement, Ill let the fermenter come down to about 55-60 before bottling. Warmer months, I just do it after a 3-4 day rest. I try to carbonate between 60-70 for two weeks. Then toss the bottles in the fridge for extended cold conditioning. I've carbonated 34/70 down to about 50, but it does take extra time (3+weeks) to get good carbonation.
Basically, I treat it like an ale. Its just fermented much colder and a bit longer. Plus the extended cold conditioning time. Unfortunately I get thirsty and start cracking bottles after 3 weeks in the fridge. The last six bottles are nearly always more impressive than the first six.

I’m a smaller batch brewer. My usual volume sits at about 3g and I’ll generally direct pitch without a starter. But after that initial direct pitch (usually a lower gravity beer), I pitch a heck of a lot of slurry for higher gravity beers. But most will use a starter, yes.

Back