Lager 2 weeks, still not done

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zacster

Reaction score
I put my Czech Pilsner into the fermentation fridge 2 weeks ago and had it first at 46, then up to 48, then up to 50 for an entire week, and it is still at 1.020. I turned it up to 63 for a D-rest last night. I'm hoping the D-rest will finish the fermentation too. The is still activity in the airlock, and there is a frizzante tingle to my sample.

It tastes OK, no Diacetyl that I can detect, but still a little too sweet for a pilsner.

I made a 2L starter, pitched at 46, and kept it cold throughout. Clearly I've had activity, but I thought it would be done by now.

Should I do anything else?

Totally normal. I make a lot of lagers (usually pilsners) and at 2 weeks (~50F) they are still at 1.015-1.020. In fact, almost every time.

I do the same thing it seems that you did: I raise the temp 5F. Every time, I'm ready to keg a week later.

So, to answer your question: be patient!

Twelve hours later and it is just bubbling away, cleaning up whatever diacetyl there may be. I just hope it cleans up whatever residual sugar there is too.

I'll give it the 4 day July 4th weekend and check again, and if necessary let it sit some more.

26 hours later and the other carboy reads 1.010. I have twin 3 gallon Better Bottles that fit squarely in my fridge. I try to pitch both evenly with the same amount of yeast. Tomorrow I'll check the other in the morning and see if it has dropped as well. If it has I'll cold crash and keep it there until next weekend, when I'll put it into my keg and keep it there until done. If it is as good as I think it will be, it won't last.

Back