Lactose…Dairy Flavor??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoffHaines

Reaction score
Gents,

I was thinking about using lactose to sweeten up an American Stout with coffee and vanilla. I've heard mixed reviews on lactose imparting a dairy like flavor into the beer.

I don't want the beer to be too "milk stout" like so, I'm thinking about using some maple sugar to sweeten at flameout and for carbing with the little I plan to bottle (4-5 bottles and the rest keg).

Any advice on doing this? or against this? experience with carbing like this? any charts? anything will help.

Thanks.

I think Palmer includes maple syrup in his priming calcs in How To Brew.

I know from making maple syrup at home that 68% is the target sugar content, so you can do the math from there.

It won't add sweetness, because it's a relatively simple sugar. It will ferment out completely.

I've never considered lactose as imparting a dairy character to a stout. It does change the mouthfeel/body some and add sweetness. But there is a definite signature to it.

Back