Lacto Kettle Sour Yeast Contamination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaysquared2

Reaction score
So, pretty sure my kettle sour got contaminated with a wild yeast strain. Pre-Boil before pitching lacto was 1.055 (4.5 gals wort for 3.5 total batch expected around 1.065) post boil gravity was 1.021. It all taste pretty good so I'm just gonna roll with it, my issue is when it comes to carbonating/bottling. Since it was boiled I'd assume it won't ferment out anymore. So would I pitch some of the yeast I originally planned to use, and then how long would I let that ferment out (i would guess maybe a week)?

Id go with the yeast you were planning to use but pitch more than you usually would. Maybe what the calculator says plus 25%? That's a pretty low PH although not off the scale for a sour so getting it to ferment might be a little more difficult

Even though it already fermented during the souring stage from some random wild yeast? Basically just hoping to get it to attenuate a few more points from the 1.021 to maybe 1.014 or so. And also need yeast that aren't dead to carb up the bottles. Calculator wanted the whole pack for the original plan since it was 1.065 OG, but now it's only gotta ferment out wort with a gravity of 1.021 so I'd assume the whole pack would still be plenty.

Back