Labels and Grolsch bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcadieux

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been answered but I didn;t see it. Can the method of using regular papaer and milk work with Grolsch bottles, given that the glass is embossed and therefore not a flat surface?

TIA

That's what I use.
I make a oval label (see my avatar for shape). I coat the back with a pastry brush using 2%. I place the label over the bracket and under the hinge "corners," "sealing" the bracket. I then lightly press, and hold for a couple of seconds.

I'm not sure i'm clear on what you mean when you refer to the 'bracket'? Are you referring to the bottle's neck or the lower part where a beer label would 'typically' go?

sorry.

Oh, I think I understand, you're 'sealing' the closure, the way that Grolsch bottles come commercially?

I was referring to the lower part of the bottle, the larger surface.

If my labels will stay over the metal brackets, then your labels will stay over the embossed glass.
Smooth is another issue.

I have labeled about 15 to 20 crates of Grolsch bottels without any problem.
Just put some milk on the backside and put the label on the bottle as any other bottle. No problem.

I have labeled about 15 to 20 crates of Grolsch bottels without any problem.
Just put some milk on the backside and put the label on the bottle as any other bottle. No problem.

Excellent, for some reason I assumed the embossing would cause an issue.

I tried this last night with milk and it worked just fine, though the paper wasn't totally smooth.

Actually that is the route I'm leaning towards right now, I just news some free time (yeah right).

To save on the time it would take to assemble each label though, I'd like to grab some 3-4" lengths of chain ( bathroom sink) for each bottle rather than string.

Comments?

The chain would be quicker, but uglier, imo. That depends on the label design, of course. If you design the label around the chromed or brass chain you can probably make it not look weird.

Is there quick way then of using string (yarn) without having to re-cut and re-tie know for every new batch?

For my lumpy grolsch-style bottles, I sometimes hold the label on with just a rubber band. Maybe not the most aesthetically pleasing fastener, but it works with no adhesive residue!

Back