La Fin Du Monde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malvado78

Reaction score
So...

I have been working through the BeerAdvocate Top 100 beers. Now I do not want to debate this list as it is only a good reference for highly rated beers.

I have found IPAs I like better than Pliny (Anything from Alpine...). But Pliny is excellent.

Had La Fin Du Monde last week and it is SOOOO delicious. I normally tolerate the spicy fruitiness that comes with Belgian beers but is was delightful. 9% and oh so smooth. I think i could drink it all night long.

So far have had about 17 beers on the list. I have been trying to get my hands on Abyss but to no avail so far.

I also think Pliny is a bit overrated. I'm not a big fan of it, but I've never had it fresh. I hear that's the way to have it.

Reading through the list, I see a lot that shouldn't be on there. While I respect Sam Adams, and I think they make some great beers...none of them are worthy of a top 100 list in my opinion. I'm a fan of big crazy beers though.

I'm not suprised to see so many IPA's on the list either.

I've had probably 60-70 of those beers, and if you finish the list, you can say you've conquered some of the best beers out there, which is cool. Storm King is one of my personal favorites on there.

When you're done with this list...check out DRAFT magazines top 50 beers of 2010. They have some excellent beers in there.

I had the opportunity to taste La Fin Du Monde sample pack they give out to potential distributors (it was 2 different 4 packs). At least at that time, I didn't really care for a lot of their beers. There was a characteristic across them that wasn't my favorite. I read it was likely from the yeast strain they use, but who knows. I was drinking scotch heavily that night, so my tastes were probably way off.

Really There are only a handful of styles that are the list.

IPAs
Stouts
Belgians (I know that is a broad swipe there)
Sours

Bet you those cover 80%...

Just reviewing there is a couple Hefe's a couple American stongs but really not much in the way of variety.

Yes Storm King is is very good.

Recently had Founders Breakfast Stout and that is at the top of my list of stouts right now.

Will check out the Draft top 50. Thanks.

I've got a bottle of La Fin at home waiting for a relaxing evening where I can sit an enjoy it. I had it for the first time at a bar in columbus last year and have just now found it again...at a hardware store in columbus :drunk: I remember really enjoying it and am exciting to refresh my memory. I also picked up a bottle of the Trois Pistoles from the same brewery.

I've got a bottle of La Fin at home waiting for a relaxing evening where I can sit an enjoy it. I had it for the first time at a bar in columbus last year and have just now found it again...at a hardware store in columbus :drunk: I remember really enjoying it and am exciting to refresh my memory. I also picked up a bottle of the Les Pistoles from teh same brewery.

Ooh a hardware store that sells beer. That makes for some quality home improvement... :drunk:

Ooh a hardware store that sells beer. That makes for some quality home improvement... :drunk:

It's a neat store really. They have a decent beer section, a pretty large wine section, then sell everything from hardware to tools to appliances to furniture. It's pretty neat.

Nope, no drive through. Not sure what that's supposed to mean.:drunk:
http://www.blacklickwine.com/

I had heard in the past the OH has drive through beer stores like the one above (which is in Columbus by chance).

In NY we have no such thing. The joke has been made that they are perfect for the Alcoholic on the go... :tank:

Fin du la monde? The OP then trots off course,.......but I found that beer over-priced and over-rated.
Over priced? I got mine for 6.95 for a 22oz. At 9% ABV. That seems like about the going rate. Especially for a Beligian style.

Overrated... Do you like other Belgian triples? To each his own.

Definitely did wander a bit there... :drunk:

cruckin78 said:
get your hands on Westmalle Triple if you like La Fin Du Monde.
I plan on it!

I like Unibroues offerings...La Fin is outstanding and highly available here in my area. But then again I also like Maudite, Don de Dieu, and Trois Pistoles.

I like Unibroues offerings...La Fin is outstanding and highly available here in my area. But then again I also like Maudite, Don de Dieu, and Trois Pistoles.

Just wanted +1 to this. Don de Dieu and Trois Pistoles are absolutely stellar. Trois Pistoles will age and peak after about 2 years--2.5 years max. I have a 2 year old in my cellar right now, and I got to taste one in 2009 as well.

Just wanted +1 to this. Don de Dieu and Trois Pistoles are absolutely stellar. Trois Pistoles will age and peak after about 2 years--2.5 years max. I have a 2 year old in my cellar right now, and I got to taste one in 2009 as well.

I did go and pick up Trois Pistoles. It was delicious. I do see how the person in the thread feels Unibroue's offerings have a similar taste. But i like that taste.

I bet it come from a yeast they use across the multiple offerings.

Will pick up some Don de Dieu as well and maybe stash both in the basement for while.

don de dieu is definitely delicious. good to hear all this stuff about la fin, I have a bottle waiting to get in my belly

If you like La Fin Du Monde, try Trader Joe's Vintage Ale if you have a TJ's near you.. it's also brewed by Unibroue but for half the price. Delicious. I have a case.. er ahem, 3/4 case of 2010 aging in my pantry.

Back