Kveik yeasts phenolic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ksub123

Reaction score
I’ve been thinking about doing a brew with kveik yeast for a couple years now, ever since I first heard about it. The past year I found a few commercial kveik beers but they all seem to have a phenolic quality I hadn’t expected. I know that there are a lot of kveik yeasts but is this typical?

I made a batch that had a plastic taste. The experts here told me it was probably infection, but I'm not going to try it again.

I made a batch that had a plastic taste. The experts here told me it was probably infection, but I'm not going to try it again.
My last batch of voss after 1 1/2 weeks (when I was doing the dry hop) smelled rubber and plastic, never had this before, after another week in fermenter and 2 weeks carbing in bottles its one of my best neipa's

My batch of Hornindal strain was bottled two weeks from pitch and had a farmyard funk at bottling and also at one week conditioning. At three weeks that flavor was gone and it tasted good.

Hmm. That all confirms what I expected. It’s odd because two of those beers I had were from breweries that I really like.

I guess I’ll just have to try for myself.
Anyone know a good strain? Are Voss and Hornindal the way to go or just the best known?

Back