Kveik yeast - multiple generation pitches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hocktim

Reaction score
I planning to use go ferm protect evolution (typically used for dry yeast re-hydration) in a yeast starter/propagation. Just thinking that the go ferm would be designed more for quicker absorption and assimilation into the recently dormant yeast cells vs. say fermaid o.
The yeast that I plan on using are several kveik strains and they are on about 2nd-4th generations pitches. I am pitching them into meads and also some hard seltzer recipes which will be somewhat harsh/nutrient deficient environments. This is also why I was thinking to use the go ferm for the sterols, and the micronutrients. I prefer to wake my yeast up out of the fridge (slowly warm for couple hours then put on stir plate with food source and nutrients) and pitch within 2-18 hours, another reason to try go ferm vs fermaid o.
I do plan on using fermaid o with tosna protocol after pitch also. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Last edited:
I sent this question to Scott labs

"I am planning to use go ferm protect evolution in a yeast starter/propagation. I was just wondering if the go ferm would be designed more for quicker absorption and assimilation into the recently dormant yeast cells (stored in fridge for weeks or months) vs. say fermaid o.
The yeast that I plan on using are several kveik strains and they are on about 2nd-4th generations pitches. My typical method is get the count up on stir plate for 24-36 hours split the batch up, pitch some and refrigerate the rest for future use. I am pitching them into meads and also some hard seltzer recipes which will be somewhat harsh/nutrient deficient environments. This is also why I was thinking to use the go ferm for the sterols, and the micronutrients. I prefer to wake my yeast up out of the fridge (slowly warm for couple hours then put on stir plate with food source and nutrients) and pitch within 2-18 hours, another reason to try go ferm vs fermaid o.
I do plan on using fermaid o with tosna protocol after pitch also. Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated, thanks."

and got the following response

"We received your inquiry through our website. I ran your question by our resident scientist, Nxxxxx Xxxxx, and she believes the GoFerm Protect Evolution would be a better choice as it will replace the vitamins and minerals whereas the Fermaid O is more nitrogen based. We can't say with certainty that the cells would take them up at that stage of growth, but they should. "

Kveik seems to be a hearty beast that enjoys a bit of punishment (50 Shades of Kveik?). I like combining yeasts, I was wondering if drying the yeast combo would isolate more of the Kveik rather than the less- hearty strains. I don’t have any experience drying yeast, but apparently flopping some slurry on a sanitized parchment and drying in the oven is the preferred method of storing this strain.

Kveik seems to be a hearty beast that enjoys a bit of punishment (50 Shades of Kveik?). I like combining yeasts, I was wondering if drying the yeast combo would isolate more of the Kveik rather than the less- hearty strains. I don’t have any experience drying yeast, but apparently flopping some slurry on a sanitized parchment and drying in the oven is the preferred method of storing this strain.
Not all Kveik yeast should be dried For preservation according to the Farmhouse yeast registry

Back