Kveik Voss Simcoe IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsprague

Reaction score
I made a simple simcoe IPA with 2 row and a pound of 20L. Only simcoe hops including a dry hop the last week. FG of 1.008. What I didn't expect is that the beer tastes like a fruit juice IPA. It has a very clean pineapple and tangerine flavor. The hops are almost unnoticeable over the fruit smell and flavor except the balanced bitterness back-end. Light bodied beer obviously. Fermentation was 68 for 20 days and increased to 78 for 5 days. Is this to be expected from Kveik Voss? This is my first time using it and I plan to save some of the yeast cake unless this is something other than typical from the strain, like an infection. I would say, overall good refreshing beer but not what I expected at all.

"A traditional Norwegian kveik directly from the Gjernes farmstead, Voss Kveik’s orange-citrus notes present throughout its wide temperature range. So, like the mango-honey profile of Hothead® (OYL-057), Voss Kveik’s orange-citrus is relatively clean across the whole range, and pairs well with citrusy, fruity hops."

"Simcoe®: Released to the world in 2000 by Yakima Chief Ranches, American variety Simcoe® has become wildly popular with craft brewers. With a high alpha percentage and low cohumulone, it makes a very nice foundational bittering hop. It is also noted though for its favorable aroma qualities. It has a pleasantly fruity, yet earthy herbal and piney aroma."

Both the hop and the yeast produce notes of various fruits. As you pair certain hops with certain kveik (Norwegian for yeast), you may get significant fruity flavors.

Thanks for the replies. I was surprised how much Simcoe/Voss combination tasted like pineapple and orange rather than my typical hoppy pale or IPA. Tallgrass- Do you use an additional enzyme to brew your "Brut"?

Seems a lot of people get different results from kveik. I have used it with good results, similar to yours, including an ipa with simcoe, citra, and mosaic. It turned out fantastic, orange citrus fruity goodness. Other people aren't fans or haven't had similar experiences. To me it's a good yeast I like to use in the summer, I have temp control on my fermenters but it's also nice not to worry about it sometimes.

I used the dried Voss in an IPA with BRU-1 and Sabro and it turned out wonderful. Notes of pineapple and stonefruit on the nose and a great pineappley taste with some coconut and creamyness. I know some folks will cry, but I did grain to glass in a week. This was fermented at 80F.
I also used it on a bitter... I fermented it around 78F hoping for a little less orange, more of a marmalde. Didn't turn out the way I had hoped, but not bad.

Fermentation was 68 for 20 days and increased to 78 for 5 days.
I run Voss through and keg on day 7 usually unless a dry hop holds me back. I always ferment between 85-90 and will push to 95 at the tail end. It never occurred to me to ferment cooler and let it sit for a month. The orange is super mild at this temp and only noticeable in light beers. It is clean enough that is is not noticeable in a porter or a stout and didn't pick up on it in the last pineapple faux pils ale I made either. Seems to run very consistent at this temp or at least it does for me but I only use Omega Voss. I've probably used it over 20 times by now.

Superiorsat, its interesting that you didn't get as much orange and pineapple fermenting at higher temps. I was kind of afraid of getting off flavors at 80+ degrees. This was my first time using Voss and I thought if anything, lower temps would be a cleaner fermentation. I realized that the Kveik can do higher temps, but I also didn't have a separate heater in my basement. I got a couple carboy heat pads, but at 25 watts they are limited to how many degrees they can raise the carboys. Now I'm taking advantage of the cooler temps and brewing my first lager, a pilsner at about 56f.

I consider what I do to be an under pitch but maybe not enough to bring the orange out. I think that is really when the orange is supposed to kick in. I will use one pouch no starter to ferment a 12+ish gallon batch or I might split the pouch in half and dose 2-6 gallon batches. Out of the 20+ beers made with it I'd say I've only detected any orange in a few IPA's and an Old Ale but nothing like I hear others explain like an orange bomb. Been testing it for speed purposes as to what styles it can be used with in a pinch if you had to push something through quickly.

I don't know that ever got an orange bomb out it. More of a subtle clean orange flavor that plays well with some hops. I should mention I also under pitch using one pack for 11 gallons of 1.050.

From more beer website:
Fermentation Range: 77-104°F (Optimal: 95-104°F)
The flavor profile is consistent across the entire temperature range:
neutral with subtle fruity notes of orange and citrus.
Aroma: Relatively neutral at high temps, slight orange and citrus notes

I believe I read the orange flavor increases with the under pitch.

I made a simple simcoe IPA with 2 row and a pound of 20L. Only simcoe hops including a dry hop the last week. FG of 1.008. What I didn't expect is that the beer tastes like a fruit juice IPA. It has a very clean pineapple and tangerine flavor. The hops are almost unnoticeable over the fruit smell and flavor except the balanced bitterness back-end. Light bodied beer obviously. Fermentation was 68 for 20 days and increased to 78 for 5 days. Is this to be expected from Kveik Voss? This is my first time using it and I plan to save some of the yeast cake unless this is something other than typical from the strain, like an infection. I would say, overall good refreshing beer but not what I expected at all.
jsprague...how much simcoe did you use? Sounds like a nice brew for the summer.

I don't know that ever got an orange bomb out it. More of a subtle clean orange flavor that plays well with some hops. I should mention I also under pitch using one pack for 11 gallons of 1.050.

From more beer website:
Fermentation Range: 77-104°F (Optimal: 95-104°F)
The flavor profile is consistent across the entire temperature range:
neutral with subtle fruity notes of orange and citrus.
Aroma: Relatively neutral at high temps, slight orange and citrus notes

I believe I read the orange flavor increases with the under pitch.
Subtle clean orange is a pretty good description and as I said I have had a few IPA's where I felt it played nice and I know I picked up on it in the Old ale. If there is another dominating flavor the hint of orange disappears like in the pineapple I've got on tap and anything dark with any kind of roast it is undetectable. I've just read on different kviek threads that people are getting a ton of orange and that it dominates over the hops, or guys saying they can't stand to use it any more describing the flavor as an unpleasant orange marmalade, etc.

jsprague...how much simcoe did you use? Sounds like a nice brew for the summer.
1642735624516.png

I am really surprised with such high IBU's it really is very fruity but balanced. Almost like a recipe I made years ago that was a cross between a beer and a cider. I may keep this one as well for summer time.

I have been brewing with dried Voss a lot recently because I don't have any kind of temp control (other than playing "warm spot cool spot" in my basement). It has a really nice clean profile, and you can limit the fruity flavors if you ferment on the cool side (which for Kveik is <70F).

I brewed another batch Saturday. It really grew on me after a little time in the keg. i finished the keg and found myself wanting more of this lighter bodied, pineapple/orange beer rather than the more typical ipa's that i have on tap. The only change is that i am fermenting at 93f to see if there is much difference. The first batch was fermented in the mid 60's.

Seems a lot of people get different results from kveik. I have used it with good results, similar to yours, including an ipa with simcoe, citra, and mosaic. It turned out fantastic, orange citrus fruity goodness. Other people aren't fans or haven't had similar experiences. To me it's a good yeast I like to use in the summer, I have temp control on my fermenters but it's also nice not to worry about it sometimes.

Harpoon's "Big League" brews use this hop combination. It gives off a definite tropical and citrus aroma akin to mango and grapefruit, I typically don't drink IPA beers but this brewery's commercial stuff is exceptional.

fermenting at 93f to see if there is much difference. The first batch was fermented in the mid 60's.
I would like to know how the temp change affects flavor in your opinion. I have always used voss in the mid 90's.
Interesting post here about temperature and flavor. The "kveiky acidity/twang" described by the author at lower temps doesn't sound pleasant.

just kegged today. It tastes very good even uncarbonated. same pineapple taste and clean/light like the last batch. more of a hop bitter after taste than the first batch. this may have been because i bought a ss hop basket to use instead of a nylon hop bag. will see how it tastes after a few days on CO2.

finished at 1.005. i mashed at 148f. i may up that to 150f for the next batch.

I would like to know how the temp change affects flavor in your opinion. I have always used voss in the mid 90's.
Interesting post here about temperature and flavor. The "kveiky acidity/twang" described by the author at lower temps doesn't sound pleasant.
thanks for the article. It is very interesting to learn about this yeast that is much different than what I'm used too.

It's carbonated and the wife and I are enjoying it. It will be a regular brew at this point. The only change on this recipe was that i dry hopped only 1oz for 5 days. It seems to be very much the same fermented at 93 compared to the first batch that was in the mid 60s. It did ferment quicker and more vigorously at 93.

Exactly, I'm not convinced it's a completely consistent product . Ive been reusing this current kveik ( voss) for over a year and i had in fridge for 6 months over winter ( in winter i used traditional brittish yeast) and its producing flavor and a better cleaner beer now than when it first came out of the pack. I use just apinch of nutrient and its fine with beers that are OG of about .42 which is different to all the stories i have heard. Reduce dry hop times from 5-7 days down to 3-5 days as kveik is hotter and gets the extraction done faster , bottle it before you lose the aromas. Pitch, give it 4 days then leave it to dry hop and settle for 4 more days is my sweet spot

Latest posts

Back