Kveðjur frá Íslandi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm amazed your thread title showed up correctly on my browser (I assume it's correct anyway)! Welcome :)

Ragnar is an unusual name! Do you know it's meaning? I don't know what it might mean in Icelandic, but I am somewhat familiar with the historical figure Ragnar, and also have read a small bit about Ragnarok.

Welcome! I hope you saved some gold coins to buy brewing equipment and supplies!

Does Iceland have a homebrewing culture?

Sorry for the late reply! I didn't expect anyone to notice my greetings :þ

I think there used to be a big homebrewing culture here and that now it's getting popular again because of the economy crisis and heavy alchohol taxation
You are allowed to make wine and a lot of the equipment is available but the sellers tell you stuff like: "Now, here's what you don't want to do... (how way to make strong stuff)." and give you printed out instructions that are only for "educational purposes". It's almost like everyone I go to is an expert.

Also, the Finnish tried to warn the government here that more alcohol taxation would only cause more homebrewing and distilling but they didn't listen. Of course, they were right. There has been an explosion of homebrewing and homegrowing (cannabis) here O_O Crazy stuff

Thank you for your welcomes and yes, I do have gold coins!

Ragnar is an unusual name! Do you know it's meaning? I don't know what it might mean in Icelandic, but I am somewhat familiar with the historical figure Ragnar, and also have read a small bit about Ragnarok.

So, here's the deal

Ragnar - norrænt, af rögn: máttarvöld, goð, og -ar: hermaður

Translates to:

Ragnar - Norse, comes from
- "rögn" : Power(-ful or -s I think), god(-s, the Æsir)
- "-ar" : Warror/Soldier

I always say it means warrior of the gods
That's what I've always heard but wikipedia has this one:

Ragnar, Norse variant of Rainer (also related to Reginald) meaning "powerful", "influential" or "judgmental"

Which might have some truth to it too

Ragnarök is related, I believe.

"
Orðið „ragnarök“ merkir bókstaflega goðadómur eða endalok guðanna. Það kemur frá orðunum rögn (sem merkir „goð“) og rök (sem merkir „endalok“ eða „eitthvað ákveðið“).
"

Here it says that it comes from the words rögn (gods) and rök. The latter meaning "The end of" or "something decided" (destiny) and so it might be translated as The End of The Gods, The Destiny of The Gods, The Judgement/Doom of The Gods or anything along those lines.

It might mean "Regin rökkur" which translates to The Great Darkness but that's what you get from using modern Icelandic - the usage of words and spelling has changed a bit... probably not.

I hope you learned something useful ;)

Velkominn, Ragnar! Hvað segir þú?

Eg segi allt gott, þakka þer fyrir! En hvernig hefur þu það. Rennur kannski Islenskt bloð i æðum þer? :þ
Afsakaðu samt að suma serislenska stafi vantar! Eg er að nota bilað lyklaborð X_X

So, here's the deal

Ragnar - norrænt, af rögn: máttarvöld, goð, og -ar: hermaður

Translates to:

Ragnar - Norse, comes from
- "rögn" : Power(-ful or -s I think), god(-s, the Æsir)
- "-ar" : Warror/Soldier

I always say it means warrior of the gods
That's what I've always heard but wikipedia has this one:

Ragnar, Norse variant of Rainer (also related to Reginald) meaning "powerful", "influential" or "judgmental"

Which might have some truth to it too

Ragnarök is related, I believe.

"
Orðið „ragnarök“ merkir bókstaflega goðadómur eða endalok guðanna. Það kemur frá orðunum rögn (sem merkir „goð“) og rök (sem merkir „endalok“ eða „eitthvað ákveðið“).
"

Here it says that it comes from the words rögn (gods) and rök. The latter meaning "The end of" or "something decided" (destiny) and so it might be translated as The End of The Gods, The Destiny of The Gods, The Judgement/Doom of The Gods or anything along those lines.

It might mean "Regin rökkur" which translates to The Great Darkness but that's what you get from using modern Icelandic - the usage of words and spelling has changed a bit... probably not.

I hope you learned something useful ;)

It's all very interesting. I first heard the term from Battlestar Galactica's "Ragnar Station", an outpost for resupply. I looked it up and found all of this interesting Norse mythology.

So now I'm going to name my next IPA "Mjolnir", from Thor's Hammer.

Good luck with the homebrewing and getting your government to listen to reason.

Eg segi allt gott, þakka þer fyrir! En hvernig hefur þu það. Rennur kannski Islenskt bloð i æðum þer? :þ
Afsakaðu samt að suma serislenska stafi vantar! Eg er að nota bilað lyklaborð X_X

Excellent, all is good here too. I've never been to Iceland, but I dated an Icelander for a while. She taught me just a little bit of the language.

Ég tala bara ensku, except for basic greetings. :)

Skal! :mug:

I had a chance to visit Iceland for 3 weeks on a honeymoon (backpacking and such). Beautiful country you live in, Ragnar. The clarity of the air there is just mind-blowing compared to the US. Also, the geothermal pools are so awesome. We landed in Reykjavik, went north to Akranes, then east to Skaftafetl to see some glaciers. We also hiked an insane distance from Geysir up to the falls (the food there was expensive and we were broke so we took leftover food that people didn't finish -- like halves of sandwiches they didn't touch).

Anyway, welcome and cheers!

Hey Ragnar!

SWMBO and I be visiting you little corner of the world the second week of May. And 'must visit' bars in Reykjavik or Akureyri you can recomend?

PTN

Great! I hope you have good fun.

I really can't say much about Reykjavík except for http://www.players.is/ which is a sports bar. Reykjavík is too huge for me man :D I guess you'll be fine if you manage too find the centre, which - oddly enough - is not at the actual geographical centre of the city. I found this neat site regarding that :
http://hotelsiceland.net/castlemap.htm

For Akureyri, try visiting this site: http://www.visitakureyri.is/restaurants-and-bars/night-life/
Official information website of the town I believe

You might want to check out the eruption if it's still going strong after a month:

But be careful if you do, two people have died already

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a chance to visit Iceland for 3 weeks on a honeymoon (backpacking and such). Beautiful country you live in, Ragnar. The clarity of the air there is just mind-blowing compared to the US. Also, the geothermal pools are so awesome. We landed in Reykjavik, went north to Akranes, then east to Skaftafetl to see some glaciers. We also hiked an insane distance from Geysir up to the falls (the food there was expensive and we were broke so we took leftover food that people didn't finish -- like halves of sandwiches they didn't touch).

Anyway, welcome and cheers!

Damn! Sounds fun!
I hope you saw everything you set out to see
That food being expensive is so typical. When you get to the middle of nowhere and there are no competing diners, that's what can happen :D
Thanks for the welcome

Welcome to HBT!! Iceland is near the top of my list of countries I want to travel to.

so, Ragnar. Iceland is growing wider by 1cm per year. Is this Iceland's fiendish plan to take over the world? If it is, what will this mean for the homebrewing community in Ohio when we are under Icelandic rule? I need to know so that I can plan ahead. :)

so, Ragnar. Iceland is growing wider by 1cm per year. Is this Iceland's fiendish plan to take over the world? If it is, what will this mean for the homebrewing community in Ohio when we are under Icelandic rule? I need to know so that I can plan ahead. :)

Well, a part of the plan is to press all of the US under the bottom of the sea... so don't worry about it! ;)

I just got all my tanks back from their annual visual insection. I've got enough gas to get plenty of peeks!

PTN

OK, so you are leaving it all to me to ask Ragnar?

Hey, Ragnar, um......Upskirt pics of Icelandic girls.....Good or not so good?

This could be the first locked thread in the introduction section. :(

SWMBO's birthday, too.

And no, you can't come out to dinner with us.

PTN

(Figured I better move the thread back to safe territory, we don't want to get Ragnar banned within his first 20 posts.)

That's neat, but I'll guess I'll just have to cancel the reservations I made :þ

And thanks, I dunt wunt to get banned

You might want to check out the eruption if it's still going strong after a month:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgoNJ0CfdSQ&feature=channel

But be careful if you do, two people have died already

The eruption ended yesterday, too bad for tourism :(

BUT!

Just now a huge volcanic eruption has started under Eyjafjallajökull, a bit west of the old one! People are being evacuated and everything. Massive floods and ashfall and all. It might be a hindrance for air traffic in the coming days!

Here you can see the location of the old eruption (X between glaciers) and the new eruption (X on top of glacier) and the floods that have started in the last hour (blue arrows)
http://mbl.is/mm/frettir/popup/mynd.html?imgid=527865;nid=1483955

Here you can see the ash cloud:
http://mbl.is/mm/frettir/popup/mynd.html?nid=1483955&imgid=527856
Yeah, I know, I can't recognise it from clouds but it might be that huge one in the middle.

Again, this is happening right now! The eruption was just noticed this morning, the 14th of april greenwich mean time

Ragnar, tell us the truth. You guys have a big drum, like a bingo drum, that's full of letters and symbols that you use when it comes time to name things, right? You just pull out 25-30 letters, string them together and call it a name, right? No one in their right mind woud name something Eyjafjallajökull. It looks like you needed to use all the letters in a spoonful of alphabet soup.

PTN

This has to be one of my favorite introduction threads.

Welcome Ragnar! :mug:

Thanks for the welcome

I used to date a girl named Gooabunga.

What? Why and how? Did she pick it herself?

Ragnar, tell us the truth. You guys have a big drum, like a bingo drum, that's full of letters and symbols that you use when it comes time to name things, right? You just pull out 25-30 letters, string them together and call it a name, right? No one in their right mind woud name something Eyjafjallajökull. It looks like you needed to use all the letters in a spoonful of alphabet soup.

PTN

Hoh hoh hoh
No, we have a committee for that these days
People just picked names in the old days, my town is called Sauðárkrókur which means sheep-river-hook because there's a river going through the town that's called sheep-river and it bends or something
Eyja-fjalla-jökull actually means something like Islands-mountain-glacier
We can just string words together without a problem like:
Bílskúrshurðaropnarahulstur (A holster for the garage door opener)
or:
Ruslatunnugeymslurými (A space to store garbage cans)
or:
Eldavél (Stove, but it's actually eld-(fire) and vél (machine))

Here you can listen to the icelandic language:
http://www.borgarleikhus.is/livestream

Later

People just picked names in the old days, my town is called Sauðárkrókur which means sheep-river-hook because there's a river going through the town that's called sheep-river and it bends or something
Eyja-fjalla-jökull actually means something like Islands-mountain-glacier
We can just string words together without a problem like:
Bílskúrshurðaropnarahulstur (A holster for the garage door opener)
or:
Ruslatunnugeymslurými (A space to store garbage cans)
or:
Eldavél (Stove, but it's actually eld-(fire) and vél (machine))

Here you can listen to the icelandic language:
http://www.borgarleikhus.is/livestream

Later

Cool sounding language (all Greek to me though :) ). I have a book about the English language ("Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue - The Untold History of English" by John McWhorter). It's been a while since I read it, but I recall that he said that of all the Germanic languages, Icelandic is the least changed from the old original language (Proto-Germanic, I think it's called) from which all the other members of the family developed, and English is the most changed. It's easy to see similarities between, for example, German and English, but much harder to see that Icelandic and English are both members of the same language group.
BTW - what's going on with that volcano - the news reports make it sound pretty serious.

Oh, and before I forget - welcome!

Back