Kunze - Shipping $69???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This is pretty trivial in the scheme of things. But just wondering if others have bought from VLB and I'm just getting a misquote. 149 E./$184 for the Kunze book, but they sent a "pro-forma invoice" which quoted 56 euros for shipping the book. $69 to send a book? I've never heard of such a thing and get books from Europe all the time. Absurd, and on that basis I turned them down.

Anyone have any experience with them? Is this just a misquote?

Sounds like a scam to be but you might want to consider expounding on your post. Which book? Which Kunze? Which VLB?

Sounds like a scam to be but you might want to consider expounding on your post. Which book? Which Kunze? Which VLB?
Sorry, Kunze's Technology Malting and Brewing. I don't think it's a scam, because I queried directly from VLB Berlin. Here's the link:

VLB Berlin - Kunze; Technology Malting and Brewing

There was an odd thing, in which they kept sort of pressing for the order, after which they'd invoice; I had to ask a few times the cost of shipping and then they finally sent an invoice, on VLB letterhead, etc., which is when I saw what they wanted for shipping. I can't remember well but I think I bought the book back in the late 90's or 2000's, also from VLB, and can't recall this weird shipping thing.

I don't know enough about German taxes, but maybe it's a tax thing? Like when eBay sellers used to sell stuff for $1 with $100 shipping to get around eBay fees?

It's crazy that that book is so expensive though. The cheapest on Amazon is $1000 for a used copy!

That's where I bought my copy from, if I remember correctly it was like 3 or 4 euro for shipping and it arrived the next day. You may want to look into moving to Germany LOL.

I don't know enough about German taxes, but maybe it's a tax thing? Like when eBay sellers used to sell stuff for $1 with $100 shipping to get around eBay fees?

It's crazy that that book is so expensive though. The cheapest on Amazon is $1000 for a used copy!

$189 for what is essentially a college textbook is pretty cheap!

$189 for what is essentially a college textbook is pretty cheap!

Yup! Could still kick myself I've gotten rid of any book over the years, particularly this one, particularly any of my scientific brewing books, even - hold your hats - particularly any of my academic books from Berkeley. You never know when you'll be called upon to opine on the choice between the grossdeutsch or kleindeutsch, Nationalverein solution to German nation-statehood.:D

Back