Kumis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Widukind

Reaction score
Hello, everyone.

Long time no see, as they say.

I have some questions for those of experience. Being ever the enterprising brewer, I've decided to tackle kumis/airag. I guess it makes sense that this would eventually happen, being part Tatar and Central Asian.

Anyways, I want advice. I have easy access to mare's milk. Is any other sort of milk acceptable? Is there an ideal brewing container besides an animal hide sack? What should one add to the milk? Truly, I don't know where to start.

Any advice is appreciated.

I’m just bumping this, in case someone knowledgeable sees it.

I had to look kumis up. It looks like mare's milk contains more lactose and less fat/protein than cow or goat's milk but you can use them all (wikipedia). I imagine you can ferment in a one gallon jar but why would you? You're brewing kumis for goodness sake, get out there and find some animal hide to ferment in!

Really, I have no clue what i'm talking about, just trying to help draw attention so you might get some intelligent response.

Back