Kreusen in neck of carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bfriend54

Reaction score
Had a robust fermentation using San Diego Super Yeast. I'm fermenting a 2.5 gal batch in a 3gal Carboy. I used a blow off tube and a fair amount of Kreusen remains in the neck of the Carboy. I plan on dry hopping in the Carboy this weekend and wonder if I should try and remove some of that Kreusen first or just push it in. It has to move one way or the other. Any ideas ?

Are you talking about krausen that has hardened in the neck of the carboy, effectively plugging the hole?

Visually it looks solid in the neck but practically speaking it hasn't restricted co2 from escaping since it's porous.

It's just that when I go to rack it or open it to dry hop, unless I do some careful removal maneuver the kreusen will fall back I to the otherwise cleared beer. The yeast has settled out nicely. I haven't taken an FG reading yet but pretty sure it's well attenuated and fermentation all but complete

I just knock it in when this happens. If you cold crash it will sink but its usually chunky and won't get sucked up in a siphon

Are you sure you are not looking at hop particles instead? Krausen usually recedes after fermentation.

I have the same thing going on right now but the hop particles are in the neck. Took a gravity reading with a turkey Baster and had no qualms about pushing the Hops back into the beer.

Ok. I was envisioning trying to scoop it out somehow but it will fall it probably as soon as I disturb it. Maybe it is partially hops. Not sure.

image-3500610263.jpg

Looks the same as mine. Probably hops with some dried krausen. Just push it back in. No way your getting that out without a shop vac.

Back