Krausening wort fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earlingy

Reaction score
Hi,
So I don't post much, but I lurk around on HBT pretty often. If this miscategorized or I should've searched more, feel free to flame.
I am making a lager, and I wanted to try krausening it at the end of fermentation instead of a diacetyl rest. After brewing & cooling, I put all but 1.5L of my wort in the carboy, oxygenated, and pitched. I then cleaned out the E flask that had my starter in it, rinsed in star san, and put the remaining 1.5L of wort in it. The lager fermented normally, and is just finishing up. I checked on it once and noticed that the wort I had saved to krausen had some foam on it- I assumed it was just frothy. Today I went to pitch some yeast into the saved wort and noticed bubbles rising... so I took a gravity reading, and it is/has fermented as well! So, I tasted it. It doesn't taste bad, so I don't think it is contaminated... I am thinking I just didn't clean all the yeast out of my starter and it started fermenting too!
So- my question is, what should I do now? I have another yeast packet I had intended to pitch today (smack pack I smacked this morning), 1.5L of mostly fermented (and possibly contaminated) lager, and 5gal of basically done fermenting lager I'd like to krausen. I can't decide if I should pitch the stuff in the Erlenmeyer, since I am not sure what is fermenting it. I could make another starter with some DME and just pitch my other yeast into it for some pseudo-krausening.

Latest posts

Back