Krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twotaureanbrewing

Here to Learn
Reaction score
I brewed an IPA basic heavily hopped 1.077 OG. I tested the FG and my reading was better than expected. Had one of the most vigorous ferments to date.

This Thursday will be two weeks in the fermentor and not all the krausen is gone. Still slight foam and junk floating. I've never had this happen, usually falls out in less than a week.

Is this normal?

And should I go ahead and transfer even if eveything hasnt completely settled?

Just cold crash it so it falls to the bottom. Then rack it into a keg or bottle.

what yeast did you use? Certain yeasts and grain bill with a lot of flaked grains or wheat tend to have more persistent krausen IME. YOu can just rack from beneath it. Just be sure the FG isnt moving any more. Rocking the fermentor also seems to help

No flaked or wheat
2row
Vienna
biscuit
caramel
carapils

Wyeast 1272. Used this yeast before, like how it responds. Although I have noticed it creates a lot more junk than some other strains Ive used.

Cold crashing it now, seems to be helping already.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Oh, and Ive read to be careful with krausen, to try and not let it get back in to the beer(whats on the sides or hasn't fallen out) that it could negatively effect the overall taste.

Back