krausen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neboscot

Reaction score
First time brewing. When krausen is gone, does that mean fermentation has stopped? My SG (1.032) is still higher than level recommended (1.018) before racking to secondary fermentation container. krausen is no longer in primary fermenter. If I leave it for a few more days should the SG come down?

The krausen will drop before fermentation is complete. Don't try to follow a recipe guide. Yeast operate on their own schedule. Fermentation takes as long as they take.
Even though the recipe says to rack to a secondary, it is not necessary and may even result in lessening the quality of your beer.

You are welcome.
There are quite a few posts about beers that have been screwed up by following generic recipes.

I gave to short of a reply to your post. Your SG is very high yet. What style of beer are you brewing and how long has your beer been in the primary?

Double IPA. 7 days. Recipe recommended racking after primary which was estimated to take 7-14 days.

Wait until your IIPA has been in the primary for two weeks for another SG reading. Three weeks in the primary may finish your beer.

There is no practical need to move the beer to a secondary vessel to finish. A secondary vessel was traditional, but brewers have found leaving the beer in the primary longer accomplished the same objective, clearing, and often resulted in better beer.

What yeast did you use and how much yeast did you pitch? What was the wort temperature for the first three days of active fermentation?

It depends on the yeast my latest porter fermented completely out in 36 hours, but I've had ciders that took weeks

The krausen will drop before fermentation is complete. Don't try to follow a recipe guide. Yeast operate on their own schedule. Fermentation takes as long as they take.

Even though the recipe says to rack to a secondary, it is not necessary and may even result in lessening the quality of your beer.

+ 1 on this. After the Krausen falls wait at least a few days. Also check your SG for no change.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Don't remember the names of the yeasts I used. Used two (2b cells). One was over 8mo's old so I doubled up to be safe. Temp of wort at pitch was just under 80, not sure about first 3 days since I don't have a thermometer...I know, I need one. Fermenting bucket is in a rope handled bucket with water and ice bottles in dark closet hopefully keeping it cool enough.

80 is way too high. You'll definitely get some off flavors, etc. unless you're doing a Saison.
You need to develop a process for measuring & controlling your ferm temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Well, first time brewing so not expecting too much. Thanks for the feedback, looking forward to much learning and improvement over the next several batches.
When cooling wort, what temp should I shoot for?

It is best to pitch the yeast when the wort is at fermentation temperature or slightly lower. Pitching in wort that is above the intended fermentation temperature, then cooling, stresses the yeast.

Did my first AG brew and the gravity was MUCH higher then the recipe called for.

Recipe was 1.042-.046

Actual OG was 1.056-.058

I got an awesome fermentation for about 2-3 days with a GIANT Krausen. Filled the carboy, through the blow off tube and out of my Grunt filled with star-san.

After that, a week later I am not seeing any action. Not to worried about that, but the krausen pretty much coated my carboy and now it is damned near impossible to see inside the vessel. Just want to make sure I don't get an infection.

Not sure why I am so paranoid but this is my 5th brew and first all grain. I have had great luck not screwing up any brews yet and want to keep that going.

Any worries I should have with such a "dirty" carboy now?

Nothing to worry about. You can replace the blow off tube with an air lock now. Take a hydrometer reading in a week to see where you are at. You will be able to see if the krausen has fallen by looking through the mouth of the carboy when you take the sample.

Thanks. I know the krausen has dropped it just lined the carboy with a brown stained surface.

I will swap the blow off tube.

Back