Krausen Not Falling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michael.berta

Reaction score
So I brewed a Bavarian Hefe (similar to Edwort's) on 2/16. The krausen is not falling. I haven't taken a gravity reading yet because I don't want to risk contamination while the krausen is still high. I have no idea why it isn't falling. I've never had this happen before.

I used Wyeast 3068. I did a single decoction mash to raise from protein rest to main rest.

I had a pretty high OG. It was 1.062.

I did a yeast starter with 16oz of wort, aerated and pitched at 65 degrees a day or two after brewing.

Any ideas?

Let it ride.

Yeast are working on their schedule and not ours as brewers.

I've had krausens last for almost 3 weeks. Had to rouse yeast and gotten a second smaller krausen.

What temp is your fermenter? If it's lower end for the yeast strain, it could be working for a while. Hotter ferments tend to have shorter yeast lifecycles, and therefore shorter krausen duration.

If the yeast are still working, you have nothing to worry about.

RDWHAHB

I have had this happen with some Belgian wit yeast lately. It seems like the yeast gets stuck on the walls and on the top of the Krausen. I made a starter with it and had to continuously stir the krausen back into the wort and knock it off the sides. I had to do it 4 or 5 times but today it dropped out and cleared up.

I've got a Wit in primary thats doing the same thing... Let it ride.. The yeast will be done when it's done..

Wheat improves head-retention. A krausen is just a big head. It may not fall, period.

You waited a day or two between brewing and pitching your yeast? Why was that?

My normal yeast starter I made a few days before brew day exploded in my living room. EPIC FAIL. So I bought new yeast during the boil and made a yeast starter out of the boil wort. I waited a few days to get the starter going good...

My normal yeast starter I made a few days before brew day exploded in my living room. EPIC FAIL. So I bought new yeast during the boil and made a yeast starter out of the boil wort. I waited a few days to get the starter going good...

Ouch!

Back